Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Seedlings tour (boring to vets I'm sure but thrilling to me)

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Seedlings tour (boring to vets I'm sure but thrilling to me)

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 25, 2012 11:19 am

It's kinda gross out this week and there's not much to see and photograph in my newbie garden. I built a lighted/heated seed shelf this winter and have been busily planting whatever I can get my hands on for the past month or so! I know seedlings don't make for as cool of a photo as some of your folk's amazing full bloom photo tours but I'm pretty excited to see tiny sprouts of life and thought I'd share :lol:

Last year when I started my huge backyard perimeter border garden I did what I would call 'phase 1'. I layed out my beds and planted shrubberies which I figured would become the backbone of the perimeter. I am on a pretty serious budget (going back to school at age 36 this year scarrrrry lol) so the shrubs were maybe 15-20 1gallon plants for $5 each. Mostly lilacs and a few other things I liked. Some of the lilacs shot up like rockets in their first summer which was great to see.

This year it's all about seeing how much those shrubs have taken off and starting to fill in perennials now. Being on a budget and also being the type to do things my own way with a challenge I decided I would see how much of my garden I could grow from seed by myself without buying garden centre transplants. Thankfully I suppose my tastes are pretty simple. I like generally common perennials and it seems the more I started looking around the stuff I like was pretty readily available and easy to grow from seed. I should also add that I am a pretty patient gardener for some reason. Trust me I'm not overly patient in any other aspect of my life but since discovering this hobby and delving deeper from day one I seem to approach the whole thing with a lot of peace and patience which is very cool. Point is, I didn't mind buying small plants last year, and I wasn't turned off of planting tiny seeds this year. Sure, ready to bloom plants look awesome at my garden centre and part of me wishes I could load the trunk full every time but watching seeds grow from day one is a pretty cool feeling, right?

So without further ado, my terribly exciting gallery of seedlings :roll:

The 'grow-op' as my wife likes to call it rofl.

Viola - Bowle's Black

Purple Coneflower, some Burgundy Gaillardia, Pyrethrum Daisy and Hollyhocks, so many Hollyhocks I've got going. I love 'em =)

A mixed flat. Salvia, Lupins, Buddleia, Lavender and a bunch of other stuff.

Asters and Penny Blacks

Other pretty things happily sprouting that aren't shown here include Delphs, Malva, Campanula, Catmint, Candytuft, Blue Flax, Catchfly, Bergenias, White Coneflower, Shasta Daisies, Forget-Me-Nots, Morning Glories, Sweetpeas, Thumbergia and I'm sure I'm leaving something else out.

I've also got a ton of peppers, tomatoes and other veggies dying to greet the sun =)

Cheers,
Adam

CMON WARM WEATHER!!
Last edited by Mostly Weeds on Apr 25, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Re: Seedlings tour (boring to vets I'm sure but thrilling to

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 25, 2012 11:23 am

Well I suck, seems I posted thumbnail sized pics, will have to see about an edit lol :oops:
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Dumbo » Apr 25, 2012 11:31 am

How many lights? Can't see it in that tiny picture. 6 total? 2 per shelf?
Mostly Weeds wrote:Well I suck, seems I posted thumbnail sized pics, will have to see about an edit lol

I would also edit the 1st 3 words of your last post. After a few beer I might take you up on the offer. ;)

EDIT:
If things work out, I'll probably go for a metal halide bulb for next year.

I found the 1000-watt ones for 100$ at a hydroponic store near me, but, I think I will go for something around 450-watts and also keep my 400-watts of florescent.

I read you need a ballast for these metal halides. Not sure though.
Last edited by Dumbo on Apr 25, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Apr 25, 2012 11:33 am

Looking good Adam. Lots of nice starts there.

Marc, behave yerself! :wink:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Apr 25, 2012 11:37 am

Yes dear :(
Dumbo

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 25, 2012 11:38 am

I'm impressed with your seedlings. I really am. They all look so healthy and happy.

Like you, I too love starting my plants from seed.

Gardening is such a fufilling adventure teaching us patience and peace of mind.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Lulu » Apr 25, 2012 11:38 am

Seeds are always exiting, when you think of the miracle of it all! I am a seed junkie and will try to grow ANYTHING!

And, don't forget, there's a seed exchange on the forum; list your wants/haves,,people are always good about sharing. Other gardening sites generally have seed exchanges or seed banks, as well.

With your enthusiasm,,you'll no doubt be collecting your own seeds next fall, and by then, you'll know what worked and what didn't, and you'll have a list of what you really love.

As for the pics, I always re-size them to web-large,,not sure of the pixel count.
Lulu

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 25, 2012 11:39 am

Yes, 6 total.

PS - you're a freak lol, get back in your cage! :twisted:

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Dumbo » Apr 25, 2012 11:45 am

One thing about the lavender.

I am growing some for the first time as well, and a bunch of different things like you, and when I water everything the lavender really doesn't respond well. It's the only plant that seems to not like watering.

I am growing 4 types, and all behave the same when I water them. So I think lavender may need a sandy soil (I never checked). Next time I grow these I will grow them in a cactus type soil (more sandy and faster draining with less water retention).

So just letting you know (from my experience to date, which isn't much) go easy on the water for the lavender at all stages, or when (if) you transplant to a larger pot, use a different soil that drains fast.
Dumbo

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 25, 2012 11:58 am

You are right about the Lavendar, Dumbo. It likes light soil and very little water.

Where my Lavendar grows is very dry since the garden is in an out-of-the-way spot so I never water it and the Lavendar thrives. I do mulch though to conserve any water it may receive.

It also sets seed very well too. There is Lavendar growing along the edge of the gravel driveway and in another garden close by. I sure didn't plant it there.

lol...I tend to allow plants to grow where ever they want....much to my husbands' protests.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Next

Return to Garden Gallery