Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Seedlings tour (boring to vets I'm sure but thrilling to me)

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Seedlings tour (boring to vets I'm sure but thrilling to

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Good info on the Lavender thanks! I know exactly where I want to put a few of them now =)

Peering through the jungle of tomatoes...

Peppers

Herbs
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Dumbo » Apr 25, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm no Lavender guru, but from what I have seen to date it needs to be some-what moist. not bone dry, nor wet as if you are just watering it.

So this plant likes a certain soil condition, in my useless opinion, which is more sandy and faster draining. Or it will keel over.

Or give it less water than you would anything else, but water it more often. Maybe.

I guess once it's established, like yours, it's the type of plant that thrives on semi-neglect.

EDIT:
Mostly Weeds wrote:Good info on the Lavender thanks!

Comes with the freaky ;)
Dumbo

Postby earwig » Apr 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Mostly Weeds wrote:
So without further ado, my terribly exciting gallery of seedlings :roll:

I have been starting seeds for a few years and I still get excited when they pop the surface and then continue to grow just as they should - or in some cases deep disappointment when they don't.

You sound like you have done your homework and are on your way to enjoying a great hobby or in some cases obession.

I too started gardening on a very limited budget and found many ways to cut costs. Another way to increase your garden is watch for Plant Sales and I don't meant nursery sales. Lots of Garden Clubs have them in the next month or so.

Get to know other gardeners, as in my experience, we love to trade plants. I volunteer at a Rock Garden at an Collage near me and came home today with 4 plants that two other volunteers gave me for some I had given them. I also was given a couple of grow lights and some other garden stuff from someone that was cutting back and wanted a good home for them. Plus occasionally some seeds and plants accidently fall into my tool box and follow me home (actually with permission)from the Rock Garden.

Your seedlings are looking wonderful and I enjoyed seeing them.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Big Smile » Apr 25, 2012 10:39 pm

. I like generally common perennials and it seems the more I started looking around the stuff I like was pretty readily available and easy to grow from seed. I should also add that I am a pretty patient gardener for some reason. this hobby and delving deeper from day one I seem to approach the whole thing with a lot of peace and patience which is very cool. watching seeds grow from day one is a pretty cool feeling, right?

Hi Adam , and Welcome to the "Gardening " world. Like Betty, I have been growing plants from seed for many years, although I don't start as many from seed anymore, but growing plants from seed is very rewarding.
There comes a time when the gardens get full and you don't need any more perennials , but I still buy plants. I like new and different varieties.
BTW your pics are big , not thumb nail at all . They came through just fine on my computor. Your seedlings look so lush and healthy . Even after all these years it is still exciting to see the seeds sprout! I transplanted 24 Tomatoe plants today and still have more . I have plants to give away and for the Hort. plant sale.
Adam , join a Horticultural Society and you will have access to plants at a very cheap price. Now that the weather is warmer I will be busy dividing and potting Perennials for our up-coming plant sales in May. I would guess you are an hours drive from Kitchener/New Hamburg and 1 1/2 hr from Listowel. There are plant sales in the area in May.
Happy Gardening!
Clara
Big Smile

Postby Dumbo » Apr 26, 2012 12:17 am

Adam,
What type and brand bulbs are you using? Just curious.
Dumbo

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks for the positive encouragement peeps!

Betty & Clara, I think you're both right maybe I should look into some sort of Hort club. I'm sure there's got to be something here in the Hamilton area with the RBG and all~ my wife's uncle and partner are professional horticulturalists and always a great useful resource for questions I have as well. Maybe I'll check with them and see if I can tag along. Don't know if they want newbie family crampin' their style at one of these wild plant parties though :lol:

Clara, yes the K-W area is only a hop and a skip from here really. My wife went to UW so I spent many weekend making the trek way back then hehe. And any excuse for breakfast at Mel's Diner was always worth the trip back before we heard it sadly burned down :cry:

I had told myself I was going to see what these Seedy Saturdays were all about this year and then I realized about a month too late they're all held in like February, arrrrgghh!

Freakshow, I'm using the cheapest $14 shoplights Home Depot had with 2x 40W T12 Daylight bulbs. I'm not sure of the brand but they're probably GE I would suppose? They're definitely not one of those special AgroSun bulbs, I've asked the people down at Tregunno Seeds here in Hamilton where I like to go what they think of me switching to those for the winter and they're didn't think it was all that necessary for starting plants?
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Also, just in general, I am looking for the right Volunteer opportunity for myself this summer anyways. I'm going back to college in September and making quite a few life changes. I feel like it's time for me to find something to give my time to and what better way to give than with something that's quickly becoming a hobby (obsession). I think I'm going to look hard for something where I can just mindlessly weed for a few hours every week and get into my 'happy place' 8)

Finding a senior's centre to help garden or a cool local grower to intern at would be suhhhh-weeeet.

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Dumbo » Apr 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Mostly Weeds wrote:the cheapest $14 shoplights Home Depot

heh, same here. Except I opted for a daylight in one slot and a red plant one (from rona) in the other slot. So basically I alternate 1 blue and one red in each shoplight.

As for your new name for me.... I will have to remember to live up to that name. But it tends to come naturally so all should be good.
Dumbo

Postby Mostly Weeds » Apr 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Dumbo wrote:
Mostly Weeds wrote:the cheapest $14 shoplights Home Depot

heh, same here. Except I opted for a daylight in one slot and a red plant one (from rona) in the other slot. So basically I alternate 1 blue and one red in each shoplight.

As for your new name for me.... I will have to remember to live up to that name. But it tends to come naturally so all should be good.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby davefrombc » Apr 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Didn't take Adam long to peg Marc :lol:
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery