Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

First Blooms on my Tree Peony

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: First Blooms on my Tree Peony

Postby Big Smile » May 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi Brenda , your tree peony looks wonderful . I counted 11 blooms and buds but I'm sure there are some hidden that did not get on the pic.

That last pic is the same plant as the second pic in my first post.
I have to tell you my story. I got the peony seed from a gardening friend and after 4 years the plant had 2 measly little deformed blooms . You can imagine how disappointed I was but I thought oh well, guess they don't come true from seed but the next year I was rewarded with 8 or 10 big beautiful blooms so it was well worth the wait. Every year there are more blooms. Last year there was a new shoot coming up from the roots beside the main plant and that also has blooms. I am very pleased with this plant !!
I bought the Peony in the first pic with the double blooms, moved it from our other place in 2004. That one does not bloom every year but its also not in full sun. Last year it only had 3 or 4 blooms. Oh the Joy of Gardening!!!
Big Smile

Postby B_BQ » May 18, 2012 8:09 pm

I don't think I'm going to get a pic that's any better than this. I took it this afternoon. There are now 12 blossoms, (one almost cut off top centre), and another small developing bud. I'm thrilled with it. There's also another baby plant starting about a foot away!
~BBQ
DSC_0003.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Big Smile » May 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Thats very rewarding to have a tree peony perform like that, I'm very happy for you!
C
Big Smile

Postby B_BQ » May 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks Clara! Stupendous today - all massively open and gorgeous. The next few days I'll be sure to spend a few moments enjoying them before they fade away for another year.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery