Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

My spring bulbs and bushes

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

My spring bulbs and bushes

Postby styric » May 18, 2012 1:02 pm

are finally showing some potential, two years in :D

There's sedums and hostas under the bleeding hearts and at my feet. I've planted petunias and violas in the front section that are just seedlings. Anything else I should plant in here to liven it up once the spring blooms die down?
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Re: My spring bulbs and bushes

Postby Dumbo » May 19, 2012 12:12 am

I'm not a flower person so I don't really know what it is i'm looking at. But, that white and redish one against the house is nice looking
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » May 19, 2012 12:38 am

That would be the BLEEDING HEART she mentioned......

What are you looking for? perennial or annual?
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Heidi S » May 19, 2012 2:07 am

Styric, we need a little more info to be able to offer suggestions - what zone are you, and what is the light situation in this area - shade, part shade, full sun? Are you considering shrubs or perennials?

There are always many options to consider, but a little more info will help narrow it down a bit.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lulu » May 19, 2012 8:28 am

I cannot see a picture in the post????
Lulu

Postby styric » May 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Heidi S wrote:Styric, we need a little more info to be able to offer suggestions - what zone are you, and what is the light situation in this area - shade, part shade, full sun? Are you considering shrubs or perennials?

There are always many options to consider, but a little more info will help narrow it down a bit.

North exposure with an overhang. It gets strange light.. bright enough for tulips and daffs, shady enough for the bleeding hearts. The loopy things in front get alot more sun than the raised section in the back due to the overhang. I am a wierd zone.. zone 2b/3a, but microclimate in that section is more zone 4.

No shrubs, the ninebark and bleeding hearts still have some filling out to do as the red and the ninebark are only two years old, and the white bleeding heart is a year old. I have two creeping sedums starting as a groundcover, creeping thyme in the front, tulips, daffodils, crocus, forget-me-nots and a baby hosta under the bleeding hearts.

I had violas in that loopy part in the front, but they haven't started this year yet so I think all thirty of them died off =(

I was thinking low growing annuals, like begonias and impatiens but I'm not overly experienced with shady loving annuals.
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Return to Garden Gallery