Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Surprise, surprise!

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Surprise, surprise!

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 21, 2012 2:28 pm

This peony was supposed to be 'Festiva Maxima'. I've really learned to like this one because it doesn't flop in the rain. But it is not what I paid for.
PeonyMystery-2.JPG

The next one was supposed to be a bomb-type white peony. I like this one, too, but the length of time the individual bloom looks good is quite short. Again, it's not what I paid for.
PeonyMystery-1.JPG

So, perhaps, I should give up trying to get what I want and, instead, start a "Mystery Peony Collection". It could be one surprise after another. LOL LOL
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Re: Surprise, surprise!

Postby B_BQ » May 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Can relate entirely!
Hubby admired the picture of a peony at the local HD, so I bought it for Father's Day!
It's been a great grower, but it sure ain't what it was supposed to be. First of all it is NOT red, but the palest buttery creamy pink. It has a heavenly perfume.
It's name is Peony 'Tony'!!!!! lol
~BBQ
IMG_0979.JPG
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Big Smile » May 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Trish and Brenda , both your peonies are very pretty even though not what you wanted. I have had disappointments as well . I have learnt to only buy plants in bloom to make sure its the colour I want.
Clara
Big Smile

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 21, 2012 7:07 pm

BBQ, I feel your pain, although your peony is a real beauty. I wouldn't be unhappy if your peony was one of my "mistakes'; but, it's not what you paid for. It is tooooo bad that places like HD sell unsatisfactory plants in terms of the variety on the label. I think my real mistake is not ordering directly from a grower. Places like HD don't care - they've got your money and that's all that matters.

A Closet Canuck

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Big Smile wrote:.......... I have had disappointments as well . I have learnt to only buy plants in bloom to make sure its the colour I want.Clara

Your suggestion is a good one, Clara. But, unfortunately, for bare root plants, I fall for the picture on the package.

My neighbor has a peony that she bought several years ago without seeing the bloom. She and her husband live in different parts of the country as he does contract jobs and she has never been home to see her peony blooms. This year she missed the buds opening by about 4 days. She asked for pictures. Her peony blooms turned out to be the most anemic color pink (progressing to a dirty white) I have ever seen.

So, I guess the only solution is as you suggest: see the bloom before buying the plant. Grrrrr!

A Closet Canuck

Postby Big Smile » May 21, 2012 8:54 pm

A Closet Canuck wrote:
Big Smile wrote:.......... I have had disappointments as well . I have learnt to only buy plants in bloom to make sure its the colour I want.Clara

Your suggestion is a good one, Clara. But, unfortunately, for bare root plants, I fall for the picture on the package.

Yes Trish I understand that plants cannot always be in bloom but they should be like the picture !! Guess its just part of the Nursery business to make mistakes.Thats sad about your neighbor

]My neighbor has a peony that she bought several years ago without seeing the bloom. She and her husband live in different parts of the country as he does contract jobs and she has never been home to see her peony blooms. This year she missed the buds opening by about 4 days. She asked for pictures. Her peony blooms turned out to be the most anemic color pink (progressing to a dirty white) I have ever seen.

So, I guess the only solution is as you suggest: see the bloom before buying the plant. Grrrrr!
Big Smile

Postby Smitty » May 22, 2012 6:21 am

Morning Gomer Pyle ...first thing that came to mind when read subject line :-)

beauties ladies even if it wasn't what you were expecting...could always be worse..Was expecting my peony to come up beside my gas plant like it has every year for past 12 at least...but nadda...not even one weee sprig...other 3 are fine but not the one that looked so nice peeking thru the gasplant!!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 22, 2012 8:34 am

Smitty wrote:Morning Gomer Pyle ...first thing that came to mind when read subject line :-)

beauties ladies even if it wasn't what you were expecting...could always be worse..Was expecting my peony to come up beside my gas plant like it has every year for past 12 at least...but nadda...not even one weee sprig...other 3 are fine but not the one that looked so nice peeking thru the gasplant!!

Good mornin' to you, Sargeant. LOL

Yes, we could be happy with the beauties we have, 'cause we could lose them, like you have. But, on a happier note, a favorite beauty has been revived from a tiny piece that the iris borer didn't get. Yes, I'm talking about 'Beverly Sills'!!!!!

So, the misidentified peonies are a mixed blesssing but I have my fav iris back. I'll call that a "win".
Attachments
DSCF4022.JPG

A Closet Canuck

Postby savona » May 22, 2012 6:30 pm

I hate mislabeled plants too. But your peonies are very nice. I just got a Coral Sunset peony at a nursery on Sunday. It has a bud so I will know soon enough if it is mislabled or someone moved the tags around. I have a Coral Sunset peony on order for early fall but thought 2 in my garden will be great also...lol..Jean
savona

Postby Smitty » May 23, 2012 6:30 am

Congratulations Trish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beverly is beautiful
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Next

Return to Garden Gallery