Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Surprise, surprise!

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Surprise, surprise!

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 23, 2012 8:56 am

savona wrote:............ just got a Coral Sunset peony at a nursery on Sunday. It has a bud so I will know soon enough if it is mislabled or someone moved the tags around............

And, you can PROMPTLY take it back if it isn't 'Coral Sunset' (which is such a pretty bloom). That's one of the advantages of buying locally - the seller can see that the plant isn't as advertised and that the plant did come from his/her nursery.

I hope it is 'Coral Sunset' because, even if you bought it locally, it is still a nuisance to have to drive back and do a return. Like gas is cheap and we all have money and time to burn...NOT!

Smitty, I am so excited about 'Beverly Sills'. The little piece of rhizome that survived the iris borer was planted in full sun and sandy, loam soil. I'm hoping this makes the difference in whether it gets borer in the future. One of my friends told me that growing bearded iris in the midwest really requires raised beds, so I'm considering that option.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 23, 2012 9:07 am

So far I have been getting exactly what I paid for, but I was ordering from the same supplier - Parkland Perannuals. It's local, and the quality is great. I can't recommend them highly enough for peonies in the prairies.

But this year I risked ordering Old Charm from Veseys, and got in touch with someone in the area via canpeony for Cyntheria that I can't find anywhere else (yeah, I know, people are not supposed to go desperate because they can't find a peony XYZ, but I am a bit obsessed about peonies!). We'll see in a year or two if they will come true to order. I certainly hope so!

My biggest peony surprise so far was a $10 rockii I got at the last peony exhibition (a Calgary breeder going out of business) coming back this year. It looked so weak....

My Itoch will be in its second summer this year, so I am keeping fingers crossed for it to bloom. It supposed to be yellow, but at this point I will take ANY color!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Elena...a few years ago I ordered a Sarah Bernhardt (sp?) from Veseys that turned out to be Festiva Maxima which I really did not want...nor did any one I know unfortunately. Yes, they gave me a refund but it is such a pain to wait so long for a specific plant to bloom only to find out it wasn't what you ordered and then needing to start the process all over...totalling 6 years to get the proper bloom. Never again.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 24, 2012 10:40 am

Scrapinthehat wrote:Elena...a few years ago I ordered a Sarah Bernhardt (sp?) from Veseys that turned out to be Festiva Maxima which I really did not want...nor did any one I know unfortunately. Yes, they gave me a refund but it is such a pain to wait so long for a specific plant to bloom only to find out it wasn't what you ordered and then needing to start the process all over...totalling 6 years to get the proper bloom. Never again.

Six years is a long time to wait for the right bloom, especially when it is due to someone else's mistake.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 24, 2012 11:01 am

I hear you, and I would be upset as well. But I am yet to come across a peony that I do not want, at least a little. Plus, I have a huge yard with lost of space still occupied by grass & I am not in a hurry to finish my garden; I have a good 15 or so years for this house....

I am so thrilled! I found Cytheria in a Saskatchewan nursery, so if my contact in AB won't be able to ship the root, I will bite the bullet and fork over $38 from Boreal Farms (or more, since there are a couple more in their catalog that make me think that shipping charge is 15 for 3 plants, and $10 for one plants... lol!)

Gods help me if the Itoh indeed blooms. I will have to postpone my retirement by a few years, sheesh.

I guess we all have a plant that we are in love with, and peonies are certainly my weakness.
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 24, 2012 11:19 am

Six years certainly is a long time...3 years for the first Peony to bloom and now on year 2 for the replacement and there won't be any blooms this year so it will be at least six years. I also had several daylilies from this company which took 3 years to bloom and were the wrong plants. Hopefully some of the replacements will give a bloom or two this year. It's no wonder my garden isn't maturing. It can be very frustrating...to the point where I've debated quitting gardening on occasion.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 24, 2012 11:21 am

Elena Zimmerman wrote:I hear you, and I would be upset as well. But I am yet to come across a peony that I do not want, at least a little.....

I am so thrilled! I found Cytheria in a Saskatchewan nursery......

Gods help me if the Itoh indeed blooms. I will have to postpone my retirement by a few years, sheesh.

I guess we all have a plant that we are in love with, and peonies are certainly my weakness.

LOL LOL Yes, most have a plant or plants we are in love with. And, what's even worse, sometimes we change the plant we are in love with - that can make things really expensive!

Happy to hear of your success with finding Cytheria. Postponing retirement if the Itoh blooms wouldn't be so bad because you are doing it for love. LOL

A Closet Canuck

Postby Northpine » May 24, 2012 2:25 pm

So I had to go and look at Boreal Farms and their lovely selection.
I had no idea there was a peony grower that far north.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 25, 2012 8:20 am

I dunno if my husband sees it that way... Itohs are so pricey... I don't think it's going to bloom this year yet though. I have a friend that had an Itoh that never bloomed, one of those first, less stable breeds.

And, yep, Borealis does seem to have a very elegant selection, they have more salmons than I have ever seen in one place. I am very tempted!
Elena Zimmerman

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery