Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

I like yellow

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

I like yellow

Postby earwig » May 22, 2012 1:10 pm

I planted this Thermsiopsis chinens (Pea Bush) this morning and than realized I seem to have a lot of yellow around right now.
Thermopsis chinensis.jpg

Now I know a lot of people refuse to have yellow in their garden but I quite like it. For example this primula is one of my favourites.
yellow primula.jpg
On a day like today this Cushion Spurge brightens things up.
Euphorbia polychroma 'First Blush'.jpg
This little poppy wll bloom for ages if I keep in deadheaded.
Papaver miyabeanum.jpg
and my Yellow bird magnolia is just opening its blooms.
yellow bird.jpg

I do have lots of other colours as well but I would never banish yellow from my garden.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Re: I like yellow

Postby savona » May 22, 2012 6:24 pm

I am very fond of yellow flowers too. Nothing like yellow or white to brighten up a dark spot in the garden. Your primula is lovely Betty...Jean
savona

Postby Heidi S » May 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Hear Hear for Yellow! I love yellow.... and red, blue, pink, orange, purple. I love bright colours! But yellow plays a good part of my gardening too. Pastels are BORING!

And I find your little yellow poppy utterly charming! I have never seen one like it.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Peggy2296 » May 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Your yellow garden is putting a smile on my face. The primula is gorgeous. How lovely and cheerful!
Peggy2296

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » May 22, 2012 10:59 pm

I like yellow too, particularly, yellow roses! I have yellow bearded Irises that I love also! Oh and I have yellow lilies too!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby earwig » May 23, 2012 4:32 am

Glad to see fellow yellow lovers out there and I do like all colours, pastels as well as bolds. I have been toying with a red and gold coloured garden bed which may need sunglasses to view when in bloom.

I also like yellow foliage as you can see here.
img_1360.jpg

Heidi S wrote:And I find your little yellow poppy utterly charming! I have never seen one like it.
The proper name for it is Papaver miyabeanum and it likes rock gardens. I am terrible at collecting seeds but I am going to try for some this year, email or PM if interested but I will not promise I can supply.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Smitty » May 23, 2012 6:22 am

I like yellow too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yours are beautiful Betty
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Heidi S » May 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks for your kind offer Betty, alas I am in Zone 3, and my google search tells me that this plant is not hardy north of Zone 5. (-28.8) This last winter we got down to -36/-37, just after a total thaw so it was particularly harsh. We can grow poppies here, but not that one!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Big Smile » May 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Lovely, lovely, lovely flowers Betty. There was a time when I didn't care much for yellow but I have learnt to like it . The poppy is adorable , does it get seed heads like other poppies,hint,hint. If you would leave one stem for seed , is that possible?
I didn't know there a yellow Magnolia. Is it a tree or shrub.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 23, 2012 9:39 pm

I used to avoid yellow in the garden, but now I have a few yellow bloomers and they sure make good transition plants between other colors that may not go too well together.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Next

Return to Garden Gallery