Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Always a welcome visitor

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Always a welcome visitor

Postby Peggy2296 » May 24, 2012 2:00 pm

I love seeing this rare and shy Pileated woodpecker visit my property. This is the first time I was able to get a pic:
Attachments
woodpeckerOct5BSM.jpg
Peggy2296

Re: Always a welcome visitor

Postby Heidi S » May 24, 2012 3:54 pm

I love them too! We had one hammering on the post holding up the laundry line the other day - what a dope - it's pressure treated! We had so many of them around during the height of the mountain pine beetle epidemic, but I assume they have followed the bugs to the east, as we see much fewer in the last couple of years. Our beetle killed wood is now over 5 years old, and the bugs were in the Rockies and beyond, last I heard.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby earwig » May 24, 2012 6:07 pm

What a great photo.
I have them here but have yet to get a good photo. It seems they go higher or to the opposite side of the tree of where I am trying to focus.
They won't come to my feeders either although both the Downeys and Hairys are quite approachable.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Peggy2296 » May 24, 2012 8:20 pm

It seems they go higher or to the opposite side of the tree of where I am trying to focus.

I had to take that pic from inside the house through a closed window, as these shy guys do exactly as you say. I"m glad I have some big and old trees to attract them!
Peggy2296

Return to Garden Gallery