Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Thought I'd get some May pics in...

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Thought I'd get some May pics in...

Postby kelly_m » May 29, 2012 3:06 pm

before May was over!

A new columbine with a mottled variegated leaf...end of season. the Tag barely mentions the flower but it is an awesome double deep purple!

Leperchaun Gold

IMG_4076.JPG
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: Thought I'd get some May pics in...

Postby kelly_m » May 29, 2012 3:58 pm

NOID Peony

IMG_4074.JPG

Solomon's Seal

IMG_4081.JPG

NOID Poppy

IMG_4070.JPG
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Big Smile » May 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Oh Kelly , they are beautifyl!! Love the Columbine!! I have a passion for plants with varigated foliage. Your Peony is early for a regular variety, mine are only in bud. My Tree Peonies and Fern Leaf Peonies are all finished.
Lovely poppy ,is it perennial ? So nice to see new flowers every day! Its a wondeful time of year !!
Clara
Big Smile

Postby CdnChelsea » May 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Love all your May flowers, Kelly. They are really beautiful.

It's hard to believe it is only May here in Ontario and the gardens are in full bloom.

Here is a picture of 3 cherry tomato plants named "Tumbling Toms" that are designed to grow in containers. I grew them from seed and they are already producing flowers. I am going to have some really early tomatoes this year....woohoo!!!

IMG_0273.JPG

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 29, 2012 9:39 pm

GREAT pics!!

I am loving this spring weather omg. I've got tomatoes coming in too, about a dozen or more Tiny Tims & Black Cherrys in pots. Blown away to see blooms so early, even my Stupice tomatoes are showing buds forming.

I got some Solomon's Seal this spring from my mother-in-law not really knowing much about it. It was tiny and barely poking out of the soil but I stuck a clump in the shadier garden and it is amazing! I think it would look amazing with some Bleeding Hearts so I'm going to beg for more next year and move in some more Hostas and Bleeding Hearts or maybe Pink Lily of the Valleys.

That poppy is gorgeous, I'm in love.
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Big Smile » May 29, 2012 10:23 pm

[quote="Mostly Weeds"]GREAT pics!!

I got some Solomon's Seal this spring from my mother-in-law not really knowing much about it. It was tiny and barely poking out of the soil but I stuck a clump in the shadier garden and it is amazing! I think it would look amazing with some Bleeding Hearts so I'm going to beg for more next year and move in some more Hostas and Bleeding Hearts or maybe Pink Lily of the Valleys.

I have Solomon Seal planted with pink Bleeding Heart, but the Bleeding Heart is so big that it almost hides the Solomon Seal.
Big Smile

Postby kelly_m » May 29, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks!!!

...the poppy is a perennial, but it also self seeds quite well...I love it so much that I scattered seeds in a couple of other gardens!

the peony is a little early I think...my other peony bloomed around the same time I think last year...but I KNOW they are different types, I just don't know what. This one actually only has 2 "stems", with one flower on each. I would be in awe of it if it spread! it grows on a thicker stem than the other one, which has many but only a few flowers. Neither are fully mature, and I only got blooms on them for the first time ever last year!

Adam, bleeding heart and LoV would be wonderful with it!

Clara, I can't beleeive a bleeding heart could dwarf these!!! The are quite tall!! But them my bleeding heart is just a wee baby!!LOL The columbine is nice!

Chels....I can't believe you are going to have tomatoes soon!!!!!!! Luucky!

See you tomorrow!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby savona » May 30, 2012 5:53 pm

I think I have the same peony as you have there. I got a piece from a friend. I think it is Rubra Plena. It is the first peony to bloom in the spring for me. It has one bud per stem. It is one of my favorites...Jean
savona

Postby kelly_m » May 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Oh Jean!! A possible ID!! Thanks!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 30, 2012 8:47 pm

It sure is a great time in the garden. Hard to believe May is at a close already. Can hardly wait to see your June blooms too!
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Next

Return to Garden Gallery