Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

crepuscule

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

crepuscule

Postby Puff10 » Jun 01, 2012 7:57 pm

crepuscule dans mon jardin
Attachments
DSC00076b.jpg
DSC00068b.jpg
camassia with primrose
Puff10

Re: crepuscule

Postby Eeyore » Jun 01, 2012 11:23 pm

Very nice! Love the colour of it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Big Smile » Jun 02, 2012 4:17 pm

WOW I love the blue in the first pic. The name looks french to me. Is there an "English" name for that plant, Puff ?
Clara
Big Smile

Postby Puff10 » Jun 03, 2012 5:53 am

Hi big smile,
As far as I know, "Camassia" could be the latin name. It is a bulb which you may get at a good bulb supplier.If I remember correctly, that specific colour was "metallic blue". That bulb does come in white also. They (bulb) are poisonous to deer. In England, they have whole fields of them

Glad you enjoyed
Remi
Puff10

Postby Eeyore » Jun 03, 2012 7:48 am

There is a species of wild camas called Death Camas. It has a white flower so be very careful when obtaining a white one not to plant it near pets or children.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Big Smile » Jun 03, 2012 8:29 am

Puff10 wrote:Hi big smile,
As far as I know, "Camassia" could be the latin name. It is a bulb which you may get at a good bulb supplier.If I remember correctly, that specific colour was "metallic blue". That bulb does come in white also. They (bulb) are poisonous to deer. In England, they have whole fields of them

Glad you enjoyed
Remi

I have "Camassia" in my garden but its not as big as yours. Mine has varigated foliage with a blue flower. i moved it last spring, it may take a couple yrs to get mature.
Thanks for your info.
Big Smile

Postby Puff10 » Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks Lyn for the info regarding "Death Camas"!!And white ones!!I do have the white variety which still have to bloom in a week's time!!So, is it just the white ones which are poisonous??Again, I thank you for that information.
Puff10

Postby Eeyore » Jun 03, 2012 12:14 pm

I really don't know the whole story Remi. I know that this particular camas grows wild in the foothills here and that one must be careful. In it's early stages it looks a lot like wild onion. I'm sure no reputable nursery would ever sell it without an explicit warning. I'm not sure if the bulbs of all camas are poisonous but it's something to consider when small pets and children are around.
Here is a link to the Death Camas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanthieae#former
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Return to Garden Gallery