Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Need ID

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Need ID

Postby Big Smile » Jul 05, 2012 9:57 am

This plant is growing in my Perennial Border. It is very sprawly, has tiny buds that are not open yet.
I think it may be a weed? Please help!!
Attachments
Sprawly.jpg
Sprawling over the walkway
Mystrey.jpg
Tiny buds at end of stems
Big Smile

Re: Need ID

Postby Countryboy » Jul 05, 2012 10:56 am

It may be a weed, but I would check first to make sure it's not Tarragon or Rosemary, or another similar herb. *Altho it looks pretty leggy for either.* So crush a couple of the leaves in yr fingers and smell it. If it's got a strong scent, it may be an herb.

Even if it is a weed, it's probably not poisonous. So touch yr tongue to the crushed leaves to see if u can identify the taste.

If it was elsewhere, I would bet on pulling it. But on the edge of a perennial border??? I'd check it out for a while rather than weeding it.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: Need ID

Postby Big Smile » Jul 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks countryboy, I know its not Rosemary and I have never grown Tarragon. I crushed some leaves , there is no fragrance at all. The same plant is growing in another garden but its more bushy and at least 2 ft. tall. I had a white Gaura in this garden that didn't come back in spring. The mystry plant is about 2 ft from were the gaura was. I was hoping that the Gaura re-seeded but the buds do not look like Gaura.
I am very puzzled,sigh.
We have a Garden Tour on July 14th. maybe I will just leave the plant and hope somebody can ID it.
Here is a pic of the plant in the other Garden . The white tufts are on the plant , the pink is another plant.
Attachments
Mystplant.jpg
Big Smile

Return to Garden Gallery