Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Blue Poinsettias for MareE

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Blue Poinsettias for MareE

Postby Lulu » Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Hey, MareE,,almost your fav color! I like it, but it's strange, seeing a blue pointsettia,,doesn't match anything in my house, but then, neither do the red ones! Wonder how they got it to be blue?
Attachments
Blue Pointsettia.JPG
Lulu

Re: Blue Poinsettias for MareE

Postby orchidguy » Dec 14, 2012 5:24 pm

They are coloured like the blue phals that are sold, they are continuously when producing bud , watered with a blue food colouring mixed in their water.
orchidguy

Postby Laura » Dec 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Almost cobalt .... very pretty !

.... blue is my fav color ... ( insert smiley )
Laura

Postby fernleaf » Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am

Those blue poinsettias are absolutely stunning! They are much prettier than the faded washed out pale pink ones I saw yesterday. I think I may just attempt to try growing some blue ones also. Dan's explanation of how the blue color is arrived at is quite interesting. I suppose it would work for other flowers as well. It is worth a try anyway. Always thought the blue color was brought on by adding Borax to plants such as hydrangeas, i.e. Nikko Blue. May be wrong though.
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." Albert Camus
fernleaf

Postby Scrapinthehat » Dec 20, 2012 3:23 pm

A few years ago some of my daughter's classmates watered carnations with various colors of food coloring with some interesting results. Seemed fairly easy to do.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Big Smile » Dec 29, 2012 7:44 pm

fernleaf wrote:Those blue poinsettias are absolutely stunning! They are much prettier than the faded washed out pale pink ones I saw yesterday. I think I may just attempt to try growing some blue ones also. Dan's explanation of how the blue color is arrived at is quite interesting. I suppose it would work for other flowers as well. It is worth a try anyway. Always thought the blue color was brought on by adding Borax to plants such as hydrangeas, i.e. Nikko Blue. May be wrong though.

fernleaf, I have never heard of using Borax on plants to change color. "Aluminum Sulfate " is used to change color of Hydrangea but its not good for the soil.

Clara
Big Smile

Return to Garden Gallery