Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Inuvik Community Greenhouse

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Inuvik Community Greenhouse

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 16, 2014 3:45 am

While copying some piccies from a bike ride to our northwest last spring, I ran across these photos of the fabulous community greenhouse in Inuvik, and thought folks here might like to see them. The space is only heated by the sun, as fuel is extremely expensive in the community; however, very long hours of sunlight make this garden quite practical. These shots were taken the first week of June as I recall, and as you can see, the veggies were a long way ahead of our outdoor gardens here in the sunny south.

We caught the first ferry north across the Mackenzie River at Tsiigehtch, arriving in Inuvik when the ice bridges had been unusable for a few weeks, and grocery prices were at their highest of the season. They sure made gardening economical...

Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Re: Inuvik Community Greenhouse

Postby CG admin » Feb 16, 2014 11:32 am

Fantastic shots! And very inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing these! :D
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Tara:

The right sides of the linked photos are cut off. Any idea what I've done wrong?
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby CG admin » Feb 17, 2014 11:22 am

I think they're supposed to scale when you upload images that are too wide for the screen, but that doesn't seem to be happening here. I took a look and they are very big file sizes... perhaps if you reduced the width that might help. Currently they're about 1024 pixels across - changing the width to around 500 might help...

I can also ask our technical team when I'm in the office tomorrow (today's a holiday) and see why this might be happening.
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby davefrombc » Feb 17, 2014 3:26 pm

The easiest way to do simple edits and resize pix to post on forums is to use a free program like Irfanview ( www.irfanview.com ) Download Irfanview and its plugins. It is simple to use and works with virtually all photo file types. Edit and crop your picture in it , or simply resize to 640x480 ( with the keep aspect ratio button checked ) , and it will create a picture that is great for viewing in forums. Use " Save As " and jpg for file type and rename the picture so you retain the original and can use the resized one for posting. IE : For a photo named pic .. Save As pic1 and .jpg format.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks guys...
Justanotherider

Return to Garden Gallery