Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Composter Help. Lots of Bugs flying around

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Composter Help. Lots of Bugs flying around

Postby rusty99 » Aug 14, 2014 5:43 pm

HI all,
This is my first season trying my hand at composting using a circular drum style composter.
I've followed the basic rules of no meat, no oil, no green grass etc...
I think I might be adding too much vegetable waste from my kitchen and not enough garden waste. I say this because there lots of small silver/bag tiny bugs inside and flying around the composter.

What should I do? What can I add to the composter to help reduce the amount of bugs flying around the outside?
Thanks
Russ
Attachments
Composter insects.jpg
rusty99

Re: Composter Help. Lots of Bugs flying around

Postby Countryboy » Aug 16, 2014 10:03 pm

I've not had any experience with a drum composter.

But with mine, in the summer, there's generally a large collection of fruit flies... and maybe others... when I take off the lid.

It's possible that the type of compost may influence the type or amount of flies but I've never paid any attention to it. The flies are outside, I'm inside. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: Composter Help. Lots of Bugs flying around

Postby tricone » Aug 25, 2014 2:55 pm

That normally happens to me when I dump a big pile of kitchen waste in, but the flies only stick around for a couple of days. Most likely it needs to be mixed in with more garden waste.

I can sometimes also get rid of the flies by mixing the composter contents better, so most of the kitchen waste is below the surface. Not sure how that applies to a rotating composter though

I also tend to leave the lid off my composter, which means that it gets a good dose of moisture when it rains but also means that the top layers dry out fairly quickly. Perhaps this drives the flies away? Again, not sure how that would apply to a rotating composter though...
tricone

Return to Garden Gallery