Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Help!! Lots of weeds and no grass!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Help!! Lots of weeds and no grass!

Postby first-timer » Apr 21, 2008 5:47 pm

My boyfriend and I moved into a new (but very old) house in November. The yard has not been taken care of at all for a very long time as the previous tenants were not concerned about the upkeep of the house. The landlord told us that if we did the work to pull all the weeds and what not he would pay us for it.

This job is turning out to be much bigger than we anticipated. We pulled all the dead stuff up back in november but have been ignoring the yard since then as the weather has been very bad. In the past 2 weeks a ton of weeds have sprouted up. Many long grassy type ones along with the regular dandelions.

My questions are:

1) Would mowing it all down help any?

2) Would weed killer aid in getting rid of some of the smaller, peskier weeds?

3) And if were going to have to go at this by hand alone, how do we start?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never done any gardening. The only plant I've ever owned was a cactus and my boyfriend only likes the mowing of the lawn part of a yard.
first-timer

Postby Venice » Apr 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Well personally I would use some weed n feed. Spray the whole lawn, then after it does it's job give it a good mow.

I know this isn't the most environmental approach but it'll work and be fast. After the initial application, you can keep up on it.

Simply mowing could have a 'pruning' effect and they'll actually grow faster and stronger.

Ven
Venice

Postby Eeyore » Apr 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Once you've done the weed and feed you'll need to improve the overall condtion of the lawn. Ask the landlord if he's willing to have lawn care company come in and aerate and fertilize the lawn. If not then do it yourself, top dress with a light sprinking of compost and grass seed. If you can get the grass to fill in the bare patches it should choke out the weeds. This isn't going to be a quick fix project, it's something you'll have to work at for awhile but you should be able to accomplish your goal of a nice lawn, provided the soil isn't so compacted that it is un-workable.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Lawn Fertilizer

Postby Denise4bOnt » Apr 22, 2008 7:23 am

First I have to say that I would only use chemicals as a last choice, and it looks like you may have no choice. Instead of using granular weed 'n feed, there is a spray kind that hubby has used a couple times, he swears by it, I can't remember the name but I'm pretty sure he bought it at Home Hardeware, it comes in a bottle that you connect to your garden hose. One bottle goes a long way.
The one who plants a tree
looks at the world through eyes
which see tomorrow, not today
Denise4bOnt

Postby first-timer » Apr 22, 2008 10:46 am

the landlord actually owns a landscaping company so he's going to get us all the stuff we need to actually lay down grass once all the weeds are out. thanks for the advice, i'll check out home hardware today for the attach to the hose stuff otherwise i'll check out the weed and feed. keeping my fingers crossed that it works!
first-timer

Postby Hushypuppy » Apr 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Been there done that....I tried it all organic, chemicals, pulling, etc... Finally I just gave in and hired a lawn care company..I know it was kind of a cop out...but within 3 months the lawn looked much better and the time I saved went into working on my beds, and garden design so I think it is worth it. It costs 20.00$ a month (240.00$) a year and I think well worth it. They airate, fertilize, pull weeds, and put the grub killer down. All I have to do is water and mow. Plus they came recomeneded by the municipality and they only use non toxic stuff because we have bylaws that prevent harsh chemicals that can be toxic to wildlife. Just my 2 cents!

Good luck!
Ps some of our neighbours have solved the problem by removing all their grass and opting for different ground cover....grass is not the only solution for a pretty lawn!
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas