Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Clay Soil

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Clay Soil

Postby Twilighteyes » Apr 30, 2008 4:42 pm

I have decided to redo our awful backyard, which will probably take a few years. This year I want to remove all the gravel and fix up the south side of out garage. There is a huge pile of clay right now in that corner and it has mixed with the soil. I am brand new to outdoor gardening and would like some ideas of how I can use this clay. It seems to be in good shape and I have loaded most of it into a wheel barrow for now. I plan on having a vine along the fence a stone pathway to the back door and then lay down mulch with shrubs and plants and such. Any ideas of what can be grown in sandy clay soil? If it helps at all I am in southern SK. Thanks so much, I am so eager to get started.
Twilighteyes

Postby B_BQ » Apr 30, 2008 5:41 pm

Welcome Twilighteyes.

Hope you enjoy your visits here. Lots of nice people, with lots of experience, and lots of ideas, and lots of support...... you get the picture! :lol:

I'm not sure what sandy clay soil is! :roll:
Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Is it sandy, or is it clay? Rarely do these two ingredients end up in the same sentence! :wink:

Just pulling your leg here. Lots of people will jump in and help you out. Ask as many questions as you like. None of us knows all the answers, but between us all we can come up with something pretty good!

~BBQ (It dared to try to snow here today!)
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby B_BQ » Apr 30, 2008 5:42 pm

PS - It would help a lot if you could tell you where you live, and what zone you're in. :)
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » May 01, 2008 12:24 am

Southern Saskatchewan, most likely zone 3....

Add some compost or loam to your sandy clay to improve it. Is it really sandy or mostly clay?

As for what you can grow in the soil you have, take a look at what is native to your area for starters and consider drought tolerant plants.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas