Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Our big project this year - Progress report on page 3!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Postby Eeyore » May 10, 2008 11:31 pm

Today's progress.... There are a lot of roots from the poplars in here.
Between the trees will be some shallow rooted plants that can tolerate the roots. Suggestions are welcome.

Along the path will be creeping Thyme.

A seating area will be here at this end.

Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 11, 2008 1:34 am

Two money jars...how bout two bank accounts...preferrably separate....lol.

Eeyore...this area is really coming along. I can hardly believe the transformation already. Good job and thanks for sharing.
Scrapinthehat

Postby MareE » May 11, 2008 6:39 am

Laffs, Scrap! Looking splendid, Lyn. Those stepping stones have me thinking of how to sparkle up muddy spot in deep shade where dogs just won't allow grass or anything else to grow. Hmmm.

Energized MareE;o}
MareE

Postby kelly_m » May 11, 2008 8:55 am

Lyn!!! That is looking marvelous!!!!!Hostas...for height, Solomon's Seal...columbine...
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Venice » May 11, 2008 9:46 am

ohhh that looks great! You guys really have been working hard.

Ven
Venice

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Scrap - I think the budget is blown! LOL!

Kelly - It's pretty much full sun. I'm moving some plants from the "fence garden" that haven't been performing well over there. Those are great suggestions for my "fence garden" though!

MareE, stepping stones where the dogs play is a great idea. I was surprised at how many different varieites there were to choose from. We went with the natural rock.

Ven, I'm about to go out and plant it up with annuals for this year. Sweetpeas and Birdhouse gourds on the fence. I've got Lavatera, 4'0clocks, sunflowers and papmpas grass to go in there too. I'm going to seed the thyme too.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lindamct » May 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Lyn I absolutely just love what you have been doing! Gr8 job :D . Does Creeping Thyme grow quickly from seed? I have never seeded that before :)
Lindamct

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Eeyore...did you mean your budget or mine?....I know....it's probably both! I can think of worse things to blow money on. I actually refer to going to the local greenhouses as "therapy" and buying plants as "medicine"...works for me!
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » May 12, 2008 10:25 am

I know I answered this post last night..... :?

Scrap - Actually we've come in just about on budget for the hardscaping. The plants will come later. I'm pretty sure I can get shrubs for a good price at CT.
The big one will be the Twisty Baby Locust and I have to get a price on that.

Linda, I don't know how quickly the thyme grows, but it will fill in very well once it starts.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 12, 2008 11:18 am

Eeyore...glad to see I'm not the only one on a budget. Actually I'm pretty much on target for mine too. Speaking of CT, I bought a few roses (not mini's...lol) there this past weekend. Not only were they half as much as the greenhouse, they were twice as nice. Also had lots of shrubs and bushes available which weren't looking quite as nice, but once they are in the ground for a couple of months noone will know the difference.

Also, I know how you like Morden roses. The Wal-mart here has Modern Blush topiaries...yours migh have them too. I've been tempted, but need the yard to fill in a bit more before I consider one of these. It probably won't be suitable for this area, but would look lovely in a sunny spot.
Scrapinthehat

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas