Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Edging...grrr...what's the secret?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Edging...grrr...what's the secret?

Postby Pepper » May 04, 2008 4:07 pm

One of the most frustrating things for me every year is how to keep a clean edge around my flower beds. It seems that whatever I try always ends up being overgrown by grass or weeds or the very plants that are in that particular bed. I use a lawn edger tool and it works great and looks wonderful for the first week or so but the edge of the bed inevitably gets completely lost under all of the growth to the point that I have no idea where the actualy edge is. I feel like I've missed a crucial lesson in edging somewhere along the way and everyone seems to know what the trick is but me! :?

I live on a farm with lots and lots of lawn - I keep trying to make my lawn smaller and my flower beds bigger, but the lawn is winning!

So what do you use use for an edge? Do you use materials, like stone or brickwork? raised beds? railway ties? stones? grass with a clean edge?

Come on, please let me in on the secret! :D
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby Lindamct » May 04, 2008 4:12 pm

:lol: Pepper! I use a regular half moon shaped edger. I make sure the cut is down as deep as the top of the edger, about 5 inches. I also have about a 5 inch trench around each bed. It works well. I edge only Spring and Fall. I think the trick is edging down deep a ways. Good luck :)
Lindamct

Postby Venice » May 04, 2008 5:29 pm

I hear ya, I need to work on my front bed. The back have black plastic edging that you can't see anymore ehheeh, but it was needed to keep the dirt in place on the hill.

I found a few interesting edgers out there.

I saw one similar to this one at Lowes. It has a step that comes out the front, to give you better leverage. In our hard clay the lil lip on the sides isn't quite enough. I think I want this one.

This one could actually be kind of cool, but it really makes me laugh hehehe it'd be great if you have a long stretch to do.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00023S14W?smi ... nkCode=asn
Venice

Postby dj_backq » May 04, 2008 6:04 pm

What I started to do last year is take a walk each couple of days and make sure all the edging are still cleaned and weed free. It takes me 10 minutes, twice or three times a week. I use a cheap garden hoe that I have bent almost straight. The little angle that is left allows me to stay on the lawn and not have to be right over the edge.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby Lindamct » May 05, 2008 9:07 am

8) Ven. I'll have to check that one out!
Lindamct

Postby Catherine » May 05, 2008 9:51 am

I use the half moon shaped thing too - dig way down and wide. Works well even though I only do it in the spring. This year I've noticed there is very little to deal with so should be an easy time of it.
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby Pepper » May 05, 2008 1:12 pm

thanks everyone - my problem isn't so much the tool I used (I use the half moon gizmo thingy too) but rather in keeping the edge clean, seems grass grows over it so quickly, I'd have to re-edge almost every week. Is that what everyone ends up doing?
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby Lindamct » May 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Pepper perhaps a trimmer would help. I do that once a week when I mow the lawns. Perhaps your edge isn't deep or wide enough. :)
Lindamct

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 05, 2008 6:32 pm

I have that plastic edging stuff with a rolled top between my lawns and the flower & shrub beds. The grass will still jump it & get into the beds. I then take my half moon edger, sharpen it on the grinder & go along the edging on the bed side & slice off the stray lawn that has worked its way into the beds. Usually do this once a year in the spring. At the same time I take the same half moon edger & cut the lawn overgrowth down the sides of the concrete driveway & front sidewalks. That too is a once a year job.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby bluewillow » May 05, 2008 7:27 pm

I was about to post a question re. edging but see that it has been resolved. I have the half-moon edger but in this darn clay .... Might be easier to edge after a good rain.

bw
bluewillow

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas