Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Edging...grrr...what's the secret?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Postby Hushypuppy » May 05, 2008 10:39 pm

Okay..first glad to see other people have the same problem as me....I feel so much better. I have tried for 3 years to get my edges perfect. I swear it is so frustrating. I finally cracked and put the ugly black plastic tubing in the back. I just could not take it every week with the edger. We have clay soil here and I really think that has something to do with it. I am thinking about trying to do a section by hand again this year as an experiment, but my back keeps saying no! I have found that a good spade, well sharpened beats all edging gizmos...but that is just an opinion!

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Venice » May 06, 2008 4:00 pm

We bought a edger today at Princess Auto on sale for $10. Hubby says it looks really sharp. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Ven
Venice

Postby B_BQ » May 12, 2008 7:50 pm

I have about 400 feet of edging!
I too normally use the half moon to get a good clean edge to start off with,
then for the rest of the season I use edgers which I got from Lee Valley. The cutters are at right angles to the long handles. They work very well.

I've just been on hands and knees, (took me 2 days), going round all the edging with a hand trowel. I actually cut back in towards the grass to get a kind of 'V', which makes a really nice crisp, deep, edge.

Hopefully this will be the only time this year it will need doing, other than using the Lee Valley edge cutters during the course of the season. They really do work very well.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Edging

Postby B_BQ » May 12, 2008 10:04 pm

Lulu wrote:Brenda, if you get time, can you post a pic of your "V" edge.

I was told to do that many years ago, by a lawn guy, but, obviously, I have never done it, so, forget which way the slant is supposed to go. He said it was the most effective way of keeping things neat!

Will do Lulu.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Sheikea » May 14, 2008 9:59 am

I get the same prob,and I use the black edging with a rolled top.My one flower bed is raised with stone is nice but then still have to trim because that grass thinks it s a playground for them to climb.I just walk around with a weed wacker and do it that way or pull by hand.Husband is gonna add stone edging to all my beds but till then its all manual.LOL :D
Sheikea

Postby Eeyore » May 14, 2008 10:19 am

We've got stone edging along this garden.

Grass still pops up between the stones and it will creep over the top so you still need to clean it up once in awhile.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby murphy » May 15, 2008 8:33 pm

I use stone bricks...like the ones used to do interlock...I don't have much of a problem with grass going into the beds...more the perennials seeding into they lawn (it is not much of a lawn....I refer to it as a collection of native ground covers....translation...WEEDS).
murphy

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas