Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Cottage with wooded landscape ideas needed.

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Cottage with wooded landscape ideas needed.

Postby crosswire » May 08, 2008 10:33 am

Hello all,
I'm looking for new ideas and opinion or some good advice on my adventure into gardening.

I've a cottage up at sturgeon lake here in Ontario.I'm single and 28 and love the outdoors.I've a bit of a dilemma in getting a plan going for my landscaping. As you can see, I have a wooded forest behind the property.So the land there is a bit hard to get full sunlight.So its mostly shady plants.However front of the place gets a lot of sunshine atmost 6 hrs.
Right now we just dug a drainage for the water to flow around the property and down the side since the cottage is on a hill.The drainage has worked and as you see from the images, I will be covering it so it looks nicer and not stand out like a sore thorn. I was originally wanting roses everywhere like a freak. However, since they require sunshine, I might just add a climbing rose in the front for starters on a trellis.

I know potential rings out at this place, but guidance is needed before I do plant things unknowingly.

I was considering a fruit tree and yet again they require full sun so mmmmm..
the front has space for a dwarf fruit tree so thats a good start.
However, any expertise on these forums,your ideas would help.
thanks
Attachments
IMG_8862.jpg
in the fall its dark
IMG_0169.jpg
side view where sunshines through
bacyardpanorama.jpg
back side of place,dont mind the left side which will be leveled out
more pics will be on the way
crosswire

a few more pics

Postby crosswire » May 08, 2008 10:39 am

couldn't get it all in
Attachments
IMG_8748.jpg
front of the place
crosswire

Postby Meggylou » May 08, 2008 10:44 am

I don't have any suggestions but I do love the cottage, gorgeous!
Meggylou

Postby crosswire » May 08, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks megg
Yes, everytime i go up there,my mind runs with millions things i would like to do..then i stop since i have no clue where to start..I hate going to plant places like humbernurseries or plant world since its like i want to buy everything i see.
crosswire

Postby Eeyore » May 08, 2008 11:32 am

Beautiful!

How much time do you spend there and how much maintenance do you want to do? Do you get 6 hours of sun a day or less?

If it's predominantly shade I'm thinking Hostas and ferns and other shade loving plants.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby crosswire » May 08, 2008 11:43 am

Eeyore wrote:Beautiful!

How much time do you spend there and how much maintenance do you want to do? Do you get 6 hours of sun a day or less?

If it's predominantly shade I'm thinking Hostas and ferns and other shade loving plants.

I have most of the summer on long weekends since i get mondays off at work at least twice a month.Plus it does get around 6 hrs of sun at the front and bit at the back untill the foilage starts to come in.(and the bugs) :)

Yes I was thinking hostas too and wondering if they would be ok at the back with the ferns..Any flowering summer plants that like shade?
Also,was wondering about plants that change colors in the fall..i have some nice maple trees there at the back..
crosswire

Postby kelly_m » May 08, 2008 12:25 pm

The Hostas would look great with the ferns!!

Burning bush has good colour in the fall...Great colour actually!!

Kwith cottage envy
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby crosswire » May 08, 2008 12:27 pm

hi kelly
thanks.and dont be green pls..lol...also what about ivys and climbing vines etc....how would they perform in shade or mix of sun n shade.I was thinking of getting a small japanese maple,but wasnt sure in the front where it would look nice n its requirements.
crosswire

Postby kelly_m » May 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Green for a gardener is good!LOL

Ivies will do fine in shade...another good ground cover is periwinkle...aka vinca...green shiny leaf with little purple flowers...will spread fast, but easily manageable with the lawnmower.

Japanese Maple...not much experience there...can't really see how much room you have therein the front..(nice puppy)

Climbers...clematis will do fine..jackmanii, Nelly moser, Polish pride are a couple of names. Virginia Creeper if you prefer foliage to flowers...red in the fall...

Other perennials that would look nice, maybe around the front porch area, Black eyed Susan, Daisy, good low maintenance plants.

If you do your shopping in Midland there is a great Nursery...Norman's Garden Gallery wide variety of incredible perrenials and trees/shrubs. Some great landscaping ideas too...Coldwater...not sure what's there...

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby crosswire » May 08, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks for those tips.
just wondering about zones and how important they are in what you plant.
I'm not sure as to my zone, since it border lines on the image maps i've seen. but im guessing its 4b.
any place where they give more detail on zones etc.online
crosswire

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas