Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

First time gardener looking for tips

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Postby murphy » May 12, 2008 6:54 pm

drive around and look at what you like that you see others have done....buy some gardening magazines and spend some time lookg through for plants and design ideas you like. The Garden Gallery has an excellent selection of shrubs and perennials and annuals.....they should have lots on sale this weekend. With your budget I would invest in two nice shrubs that you really like...one deciduous and one evergreen...buy a few hosta and some impatience and fill in around....Maybe a tall planter that can be filled with nice annuals and trialing ivy to fill in an empty spot this year where you would like another shrub next year. Some nice hanging baskets...zehrs has them two for $45..and they are nice...to hang on the porch. Get some nice mulch to keep down on your weeding time also. Start off with a vision of what you would like it to be...and build on that. Plant things with this image in mind. Spend your time this year defining where you want your beds to be...working with the soil. The local garden club has its annual plant sale soon...watch the papers for it as it is a good way to get some nice healthy plants at a budget price.
murphy

Postby mva » May 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

These are all great ideas and an excellent starting point for me. I really like the pics in Photoshop. They give me something to work with before I get started.

You'll hear from me again, I'm sure, as I get things going.

M
mva

Postby Eeyore » May 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Awesome idea to do those pictures in Photoshop Ven! Very nice.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: First time gardener looking for tips

Postby Visconte » May 01, 2009 1:12 pm

Wow, amazing photoshop job...

Anyway, like another poster said, I recommend having a look at other people's designs to get inspiration. Also consider browsing through gallery sites ([url="http://www.yardshare.com"]yardshare.com[/url] is the best one I know of) where you can look at thousands of different pictures and get inspiration. Magazines are good too but the pictures in them can sometimes be incredibly expensive to emulate.
Visconte

Re: First time gardener looking for tips

Postby Venice » May 01, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks, I wonder what she ended up doing. I'd love for an update.

Ven
Venice

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas