Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Outdoor Paint Question.

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Outdoor Paint Question.

Postby Grannygardener » May 17, 2008 1:48 pm

I have an old rocking chair that has a hole in the seat big enough for a
12 inch diameter pot. What kind of paint is durable for outdoors and what steps do I need to take to insure that I don't have to re-paint it every year? Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Venice » May 17, 2008 7:46 pm

Ya ask the person at the store. You could also try a solid stain, instead of paint, it might absorb into the wood, and hold up better.

Just make sure to prep it well whatever you do. That makes the biggest difference for a lasting paint job.

Ven
Venice

Postby Grannygardener » May 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Here is a picture of my chair. The rockers are broken and I just may leave them off. Perhaps I'll just varnish it with a spar varnish, or is there something better.
Attachments
IMG_0636bc.jpg
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Grannygardener » May 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Daisy, I've had the chair for a few years. We picked it up on the side of the road during clean-up week.The young couple that was getting rid of it had started to strip some of the many coats of paint off of it but then totally lost interest.It had been the husband's grandmother's chair. My husband finished stripping it and it has just sat in his workshop. When he died last summer I brought it into the house thinking I might use it ,but it's pretty rickety. Someone on the forum had a chair that they had painted and were going to use it for flowers on their porch and so I thought I might try doing the same with this one.I know it's a shame to use an antique outside where it would soon be destroyed. I even went back to the young couple and offered it back to them but they refused.Think I'll find a spot for it in my house and put a planter in it.
Edie
Grannygardener

Postby Blossom » May 21, 2008 10:06 am

GrannyGardner- I posted a picture of a chair on the Container forum. For that chair I used Tremclad exterior. It has a very hard finish for the outdoors. Good luck. It will look great with a plant in it.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas