Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Do you have a gardening/yard budget?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Postby Venice » May 25, 2008 5:45 pm

Budget?? what's that??

No I buy what I need, and will use, I'm not a big spender, but do enjoy trying new plants and such.

Hubby had loaned some money to a friend years ago, and he paid him back and threw in an extra $100, so I took it and said, this'll do my plant budget hahaha.

Ven
Venice

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Good point about it being an investment. I think that my efforts, even though not extravagent, were part of the reason our last home sold so quickly. However, I'm starting to wonder if I am investing a little too much in this yard. Spending a lot trying to get some privacy. :?
Scrapinthehat

Postby Sheikea » May 26, 2008 1:44 pm

LMAO whats a budget??Hehee I love to buy flowers and it seems the more I try not to over spend the worse it gets. :D
Sheikea

Postby Lindamct » May 26, 2008 2:09 pm

We continue to recycle, reuse, divide existing perennials, and self sowing annuals, while trading off with friends, anything that is a newer variety etc. We also recycle used lumber. I very rarely buy anything full price. We have started an arbor frame used from the frame of a spare room we had in our finished basement. Found some rod iron at a yard sale that was free. Shall be using that in the arbor as well. I did buy 2 variegated Geraniums though :roll: :D :lol: I had been looking for them for 3 years around here :) I am still looking for some seed for that new Lime Green Echinacea!
Lindamct

Postby Meggylou » May 26, 2008 3:07 pm

yes I have a budget, its flexible though, because I buy my plants all on sale, only a few at full price. Then I make sure anything I buy for the rest of the summer (pots, different plants, mulch etc) is also on sale or very cheap to begin with. I usually spend 100-150 a season all told. Though a lot less this year.
Meggylou

Postby dj_backq » May 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Scrapinthehat wrote:dj_backq...too funny! Does that mean you start with a budget but don't adhere to it? Or pretend to have a budget and buy whatever you want? :wink:

Second one!! hehe
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby murphy » May 26, 2008 8:52 pm

I try not to even think what I spend each year on the garden....I budget tightly in all aspects of my life...but not this one...I guess I budget all the other aspects so closely....cause I don't budget this one..LOL. I am reasonable and resourceful and never spend huge amounts at any one time....but it is a bit every week all season long.
murphy

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Murphy...you just summed it up so nicely...me too...me too! I'm typically VERY cautious with money. Not an impulse buyer here at all. Everything is well thought out and discussed at length, except the yard. Big decisons are agreed upon (ie. ripping out a bunch of grass to create a new patio), but otherwise it is all up to my discretion and clearly I have a difficult time resisting a beautiful plant.

I do keep precise records of what is spent of the yard every year...use as a guide for the next year. I always think I won't require as much $ the following year, but I always do :oops: . :oops:. This would definitely be another "you know you're addicted to plants (when you can't stay on budget) moment".
Scrapinthehat

Postby haili » May 27, 2008 7:27 am

I try to spend less as the perennials increase - but when the price of everything goes up, it's almost impossible. I get the expensive hanging baskets etc. as Mothers Day gifts and buy as much as possible on sale but still, the budget doesn't go down. I blame inflation!
haili

Postby everchnginggrden » Jun 01, 2008 8:43 pm

I don't really budget, perhaps I should although we do spread out the bigger cost projects. My problem is not so much with my dollar budget but rather my time budget. I find I always have more projects in mind than I have time for each spring. Already we are into June, the kids will be out of school and there goes all my extra garden time!

Sharon
Everyone should have something to aspire to

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca
everchnginggrden

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas