Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Chicken Coop Rock Garden

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Some ideas...

Postby evepet » May 31, 2008 9:29 am

Quite the project you've undertaken! I can understand the sore muscles, hauling all those rocks. My suggestion re the inside cement foundation part? I'd be tempted to cover a lot of the cement base with gravel and maybe some sand? to carry on the 'rock garden' theme. Maybe artistically arrange a few bigger rocks in there? Another idea that springs to mind is to create a 'L' of wood railings. I believe what I'm thinking of is 'wood split rail fence' - I'm referring to the older fashioned rail fences that you often see in the country along farm fields. (Actually I'm sure our moderator Kelly has a section of this type of fence along one of her flower or veggie beds - I'm sure I've seen a pic of it). A small 'L' of that would look great in there, with a couple (actually I'd do 3) containers with grasses arranged in within the 'L'. I'd use different types of grasses for variety of height, appearance, and texture. Very plain containers - ceramic preferably. If there was room, a bench there to sit on would be great too. It would also be nice to have a bird bath in there. I've done a little drawing to show you what I mean....
Attachments
possibilities.jpg
This sort of gives you an idea... the longish browny thing is my rendition of the split rail fencing.
Last edited by evepet on Jun 01, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
evepet

Postby evepet » Jun 01, 2008 12:14 am

Found a picture of the type of fence I was thinking of this morning....you could custom - size it for your space. If you're lucky enough to get older wood, the effect is more rustic.
Attachments
180px-8499720-R1-017-7SplitRail_wb.jpg
Sample
180px-8499720-R1-017-7SplitRail_wb.jpg (12.44 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
evepet

Postby ColleenatStar » Jun 01, 2008 9:18 am

Great ideas. I will look around for some old split rails. There is enough abandoned farm houses around here, talk to the farmers about scrounging. The foundation is about 12' x 12' so lots of room. I will compare to see if putting in some stepping stones and small rock is cheaper than all rock. I do have an old grainery on the property that hubby plans to tear down that would provide wood for fence and/or bench. Now the brain is working overtime.
Attachments
107s.jpg
ColleenatStar

Postby evepet » Jun 01, 2008 10:53 am

I've also been thinking that you could create a nice effect through artistically placing a couple of big logs or pieces of driftwood (or combination of) in there. A container of Virginia Creeper, would quickly grow over it and create a nice lush green area for you. (I know some people hate Virginia Creeper, but I'm suggesting it here because it would be containered, and would provide the greenery quickly. Posters here have indicated that it probably would overwinter too, although you might want to put the whole container in a more protected spot during the winter). The attached drawing gives my 'impression' of this look. I've included a bird bath at the opposite end, and surrounded it with some containers. Just another thought.:) I'm afraid my drawing isn't exactly drawn to scale, but hopefully it gets the idea across and helps you visualize what I mean. :)
Attachments
possibilities2.jpg
The vines would be growing over some logs or large pieces of driftwood.
evepet

Postby ColleenatStar » Jun 02, 2008 11:59 pm

Ok now I have some ideas. Definitely am putting in a bird bath. Got an idea for one off the internet. The interior of this is going to have to wait a bit. Seeded another 1/2 acre tonight. Only have 3 more acres to go. Then I have the summer for projects beside house renovations. Have to take my tractor down some roads since I am out of rocks. Good thing the ditches are full of them and all in nice little piles.
ColleenatStar

Postby evepet » Jun 03, 2008 8:22 am

Colleen@star wrote:Ok now I have some ideas. Definitely am putting in a bird bath. Got an idea for one off the internet. The interior of this is going to have to wait a bit. Seeded another 1/2 acre tonight. Only have 3 more acres to go. Then I have the summer for projects beside house renovations. Have to take my tractor down some roads since I am out of rocks. Good thing the ditches are full of them and all in nice little piles.

Sounds like you have your hands full. :) I'm sure that you'll be able to make this project look great once you have a bit more free time.
evepet

Postby Eeyore » Jun 03, 2008 10:14 am

evepet, I like your drawings. They look good.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby evepet » Jun 03, 2008 11:14 am

Eeyore wrote:evepet, I like your drawings. They look good.

Thanks Eeyore. I enjoy sketching, and was experimenting a bit. It's nice to be able to give a 'visual' of what you have in mind.
evepet

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas