Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Double post closed - most responses are in Plant Talk.

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Double post closed - most responses are in Plant Talk.

Postby newlife » Jun 01, 2008 9:20 pm

I did post this elsewhere on the forum but now realize I probably should be putting it under "Projects and ideas"....

I am hoping to get some advice on how to help my Mother in law with her front garden bed. She is retired and does not want a high maintenance garden. I am feeling a little pressure because I want to do something she will like but that will not cause her lot's of work.
The bed is at the front of her house just outside the living room window. It is 6 feet deep and 13 feet wide. They have two large cedar trees with 6 feet of space inbetween them. The height up to the window is 42 inches. The bed gets afternoon sun and we live in the Ottawa area (zone 5?) None of the plants that are currently in the bed need to stay except for the cedars. I would welcome and appreciate any ideas. I do think the bed needs a shot of colour. Maybe a black lace elder at the back between the cedars and some golden carpet spirea in front? The plants will have to be rabbit proof because they have regular rabbits hanging out in the yard
I have attached a couple of pics and would SOOOOO aprreciate any and all ideas.
Attachments
Mallette front garden 2 Small Web view.jpg
Mallette bed Small Web view.jpg
newlife

Postby Sheikea » Jun 02, 2008 10:03 am

Those ideas would be nice but what about a Bleeding Heart perhaps..Not sure if bunnies eat those.It looks like she has some lungwort there as well I would clump those and move em to the front somewhere maybe a corner.How about some ferns perhaps maybe two kinds fiddler and painted or japense.Hope that helps. :D
Sheikea

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas