Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

anyone like rustic furniture?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

anyone like rustic furniture?

Postby TrailBlaze » Jun 21, 2008 10:04 am

My neighbour, Dawn King, who makes it and teaches classes, has put together a 2-week summer school this July.

I made this table in a one-day workshop with her:

and she made this one, from broken pottery shards:

here is a sample of the type of furniture and arbours she teaches you to make:

and where she lives:

So even if you can't make it here to take a workshop, it's worth it just to come visit this valley full of artisans. Makes a great day out!

My DH bought us this bench from her too:(my cat has claimed it)

I was asked to teach soapmaking, but teaching is not my strongpoint. Makes me too nervous.

There are other things offered too. Take a look at the website:

http://www.brookevalley.ca
Diane zone 5a
TrailBlaze

Postby (old_user)earwig » Jun 22, 2008 4:56 am

I love it, and I wish had the talent to put things together to look more rustic than that "waiting for the garbage truck" look.

If I lived closer I would sign up in a flash. I still try, and made two arbours this spring with a combination of treated posts and one with willow and the other with bamboo. For the third I am going to use grape vines.

I have started a collection of sticks that the beavers have very nicely peeled and are in various shapes and sizes. When I get enough I am going use a rustic bench I bought a few years ago as a pattern and see how I do.

Looking forward to seeing your creations.
Betty
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~Lao Tzu
(old_user)earwig

Postby joan w » Jun 22, 2008 6:41 am

I like this idea and I'm sure Betty will make use of it. :wink:
Image Image
joan w

Postby butterfly » Jun 23, 2008 6:39 pm

I;d sign up too, I love the stuff
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby murphy » Jun 23, 2008 10:32 pm

how did you do that in juswt one day. I cut the glass for a stone (never cast it) and it tooke me weeks to do...I would love to make a tagble out of it someday though.
murphy

Postby TrailBlaze » Jun 24, 2008 9:17 am

In the morning, I smashed the tiles, placed them on the pre-cut plywood which teacher Dawn provided. Then I lifted each tile and glued it in place. In the afternoon, I built the table legs, with Dawn's assistance. Her classes are small, never more than 6 people, sometimes just 3, so she offers lots of help, and an extra pair of hands.

After the bottom is assembled and the glued tiles are dry, I smeared grout on everything. Within a half hour, I was rubbing it off, cleaning each tiny piece, finding surprises in the heavy grout.

Lunch is a sandwich, eaten in 20 minutes. It's steady work, on your feet, from 9AM until 5PM.

Remember too that rustic furniture can be slightly crooked and off-kilter, so one can work fast at it.

My DH cannot do this kind of thing, because he is a perfectionist, and makes fine furniture as a hobby. (electrical engineer turned computer analyst and programmer by profession, now semi-retired and still writing programs).
I bring home my crooked constructions and in a few days, he just HAS TO straighten the legs or make some adjustment. It's ok, 28 years married, one humours this sort of character 'flaw', hehe.
Diane zone 5a
TrailBlaze

Postby TrailBlaze » Jun 24, 2008 9:26 am

the very first table I made, I bought the unfinished table from Dawn, who assembled it herself. Here's what it looked like raw:

and with the smashed tiles glued into place:

and finished:

I do believe this one took me two days, as it was my first attempt. I only live 5 minutes down the road from Dawn, so I can go over any time to work in her workshop.
Diane zone 5a
TrailBlaze

Postby Sheikea » Jun 24, 2008 9:48 am

HEhehe I see why your pussycat claimed that chair.."points to the bird house on it"He is one smart pussytat.LOL. :lol:
Sheikea

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas