Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Japanese style garden design

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Japanese style garden design

Postby Jade » Aug 12, 2008 12:21 pm

Does anyone out there have any experience with Japanese Garden design? I don't want the stark zen style, but I love many of the elements and feeling of calm in these type of gardens. The kids are finally gone, now working part-time so plan to spend the fall and winter making plans for next spring. Live in chinook zone 3, so have to have hardy plants.
Jade

Re: Japanese style garden design

Postby Jade » Aug 13, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks Lulu,
I have a semi-established garden and tried to put in some good anchor plantings when I started. Some stuff I am tired of, or require more pampering than I have patience for. I plan on taking a progression of pictures, so maybe someday I'll be able to post a garden "diary"!
Jade

Postby Ann » Sep 18, 2008 10:18 am

Jade,

I love Japanese-style gardens, but I prefer the hill-and-pond or stroll-garden style to the Zen-type gravel garden. There are two beautiful Japanese gardens in Alberta, one in Lethbridge and one in Devon. Have you been to see them? They are well-worth a visit.

http://www.nikkayuko.com/

http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/devonian/Japanese.cfm

Ann
Ann

Postby Eeyore » Sep 18, 2008 6:13 pm

I haven't see the one in Lethbridge but the one in Devon is beautiful!
Jade, Japanese gardens are formal and pruned. Everything is meticulously maintained, if you are looking for less work I'm not sure a Japanese garden is the way to go. If you really want one though there are a lot of compact, neat evergreens available that require very little maintenance.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas