Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

New Garden - update

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

New Garden - update

Postby Eeyore » Sep 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Some of you probably recall that we were putting a new garden last spring. There were 4 big poplars in the area and we had those removed this summer and we filled the area with annuals over the summer. This weekend we spent a lot of hours out there and this is what it looks like now. The photos are clickable so you can gat a good look at what is in the garden.

new garden.JPG

New Garden-close-up.JPG

And this is part of the new lasagna area. The fence is to keep the dog out, he likes ot play in the mud!

lasagna.JPG
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: New Garden - update

Postby earwig » Sep 22, 2008 5:44 am

Being on dial-up I don't click as I see these photos are huge.

Even without clicking I can see a lot of work has gone into your yard and next year you will begin to reap the rewards.

That is a gorgeous butterfly bush there and I am surprised it can stand Edmonton winters.

I removed one poplar from my garden two years ago and the first summer after, I was dismayed at the many suckers that came up everywhere. Easy to pull and I begin to think of them as just another weed but I was beginning to wonder if would have been easier to live with the poplar.

This last year, very few showed up so just a word to the wise, don't be discouraged if the first year those poplars will be back to haunt you.
Being diligent in removing any suckers does pay off.

I do love that shed.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Sharon Bryson » Sep 22, 2008 8:40 am

Hi Lyn:
I don't usually check out this Project Room, but am glad I did today to see your new project.
Looks great, and the Butterfly bush is very nice.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Eeyore » Sep 22, 2008 9:57 am

Betty and Sharon thank you. It was a lot of work putting this together and as you can see there is a lot more to do. I'm really pleased with the Butterfly Bush. I really did not expect a lot from it. We bought it at clearance late last summer and took our chances with it. That part of the yard is a nice micro-climate and we covered it with lots of mulch. Next year I plan to put a white beside it because I think they will look very nice together.

Betty, you are right about the poplar suckers. We had the stumps ground and treated but we are still yanking out suckers. I expect we will for awhile. We dig up a bunch more roots this weekend and they are now starting to rot so it's just a matter of time before we are rid of them.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby orchidguy » Sep 22, 2008 1:27 pm

That is one funky coloured shed. I love it. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to adding colour like that to my garden. Everything is either wood, stone or concrete. Next year I am planning on building a new shed by the orchard and I think you have given me a great idea.
The future gardens will be beautiful I'm sure, because the 'bones" of your garden is great. Thanks for the inspiration
orchidguy

Postby Eeyore » Sep 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks orchidguy! The gardens are coming along nicely. We've made our mistakes over the years (4 columnar poplars comes to mind) but we now have a better idea of what we want and are more patient, well as patient as gardeners ever are. I had to laf at your comments about the shed. Hubby wanted to paint it brown like everything else and I said "no way! It's brown and drab a good 6-7 months of the year. I want something bright that I can see in the winter." So now we have a John Deere shed! I figure I'm only going around once and I'm gonna have some colour while I'm here.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby orchidguy » Sep 24, 2008 10:16 am

Lyn, just curious, do you have any statuary in the garden? I didnt see any in your pics.
orchidguy

Postby Trailblaze1 » Sep 24, 2008 10:34 am

I like color too, and that shed is just so outrageously bright! Good for you, going for what you like.

I did a lot of that when we first moved out here, painting a stove-barrel pig bright orange. But after 7 years, I've gone back to more natural browns, greens. Getting the urge for more colour again though....must be a 7-year itch with me, haha.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Eeyore » Sep 24, 2008 10:18 pm

No there is no statuary in the gardens.... yet!

TB - I remember the photo of the pig barrel!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby peter2008 » Oct 20, 2008 3:59 am

Gardening is the practice of growing plants for their flowers or foliage, and vegetables or fruits for consumption. Gardening is a human activity used to produce edible foods and use plants to beautify their local environmental conditions. Its scale ranges: from fruit orchards, to long boulevards plantings with one or more different types of shrubs, trees and herbaceous plants, to residential yards including lawns and foundation plantings, to large or small containers grown inside or outside.
========================================
Peter
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com
peter2008

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas