Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Dismantling the garden watering system-pics

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Dismantling the garden watering system-pics

Postby Trailblaze1 » Sep 23, 2008 10:05 am

Each spring, my DH installs this system in the beaver pond, for garden watering. He has to rig it specially cuz the beavers don't favour anything removing their precious pond water. They have been known to chew plastic pipes. So this pipe is metal, with a few plastic places for flex.

But in fall, the process must be reversed, so he has to wade out into cold water to remove both hose and 'check valve' which keeps the pump primed.

Here are some pics to show how he does it:

standing in the water in his body suit, untying the valve from the stick which holds it in place:

A long pole helps determine what the depth is, and any logs under foot:

Now to pull it up onto land:

and even further up, it needs to drain:

You can see the tiny 'pump shelter' in the pic.

The very end is attached to a large plastic bottle which covers a 'check valve' which keeps the pump from losing its prime; then several layers of screening are wrapped around the bottle, to filter out the thicker muds and stuffs, so as not to block the hose:

I think it's a rather ingenious system, as he attaches many hoses to this to water back, side and front gardens... and so kind of him to do this each spring and fall. This saves our well water, and the pond water is full of nutrients of various sorts, to nourish the garden soil.
Last edited by Trailblaze1 on Sep 23, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Re: Dismantling the garden watering system

Postby Eeyore » Sep 23, 2008 10:32 am

That's an amazing system TB!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Dismantling the garden watering system-pics

Postby Northpine » Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Wow, I'm totally impressed with your system.
I seem to live in a water challenged area, so am in envy of your unlimited supply of water! The dismantling of my watering system only involves bringing in my sump pump and blowing out the water lines.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Re: Dismantling the garden watering system-pics

Postby Durgan » Sep 24, 2008 9:02 am

Great to have water, where and when you need it. An impressive system.With good weather, you have one of the major ingredients (water) almost free for growing. Well done.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas