Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Portulaca Seeds?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Portulaca Seeds?

Postby jaccqqeeta » Sep 27, 2008 4:51 pm

Hello,
I am new to this site, and can't believe the goldmine I have found! Being new to gardening........I am so excited to read, and learn about gardening, flowers, herbs. My question is, what do Portulaca seeds look like? are they the teeny weeny shiny black balls? and if so, can I start a portulaca from these? Please reply, thank you.
jaccqqeeta

Re: Portulaca Seeds?

Postby Eeyore » Sep 27, 2008 11:18 pm

Hello jaccqqeeta - The seeds are actually very tiny and inside that black ball, If you can manage to get the seeds out of the black ball then yes, you can grow portulaca from these.

Here's an excellent site that will show you what many common seeds look like.

http://theseedsite.co.uk/
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Portulaca Seeds?

Postby peter2008 » Oct 14, 2008 3:32 am

This vigorous plant series is known for its brilliant flowers. They are on display from late spring until frost; generally, the blossoms open fully in bright light and close by mid-afternoon in hot weather. Portulacas thrive in high, dry temperatures and intense sunlight without any special soil needs. Bright flowers are attractive in rock gardens, parking strips, hanging baskets, or as edgings and bank covers.

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas