Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Recycled Plastic Fence Post for Garden beds.

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Postby Durgan » Oct 02, 2008 5:12 pm

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?LXWIS 2 October 2008 Recycled Plastic Fence Post

A friend had a number of these recycled plastic composite fence posts, and donated them to me for containing a garden bed. They are held in place with two foot, iron, half inch diameter, rebar through holes drilled in the posts.The black posts are 5 inches in diameter, and 8 feet long. The posts are easy to hand saw, and are about the same weight as two mini ties of the same length. I know nothing about the cost, or even where to purchase them at this time.

I have been using wooden mini ties, but these fence posts would appear to be a fine replacement, since they will not deteriorate over time. The black colour also is not as obtrusive to the view, since it fades into the dark soil.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Recycled Plastic Fence Post for Garden beds.

Postby orchidguy » Oct 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Great idea Durgan. They tend to be expensive in my area, but, I have seen them at the dump. Me thinks its time for a little dumpster diving. Rather have them bordering beds than sitting in a landfill site in all their non-biodegradable glory. Thanks
orchidguy

Postby Durgan » Oct 03, 2008 9:44 pm

orchidguy wrote:Great idea Durgan. They tend to be expensive in my area, but, I have seen them at the dump. Me thinks its time for a little dumpster diving. Rather have them bordering beds than sitting in a landfill site in all their non-biodegradable glory. Thanks

Where have you seen the post for sale? It would be nice if your location and Zone were in your profile.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby orchidguy » Oct 03, 2008 11:23 pm

I have checked my profile and I believe that I have posted my zone and location, unless I have done something incorrectly. My zone is rated 3b-4a, but I have a microclimate of about a zone 5b-6a. Lake Nippissing is almost at the back of my property, and I am in between Sudbury and North Bay. The composite fence posts are sold at Rona and Timbr building centers. I think Home Depot also sells them
orchidguy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas