Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

new to gardening

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

new to gardening

Postby dirt » Oct 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi, I just bought a house with a huge yard. I have no idea what I am going to do with all the space. This summer I planted some late tomatoes (right after we moved in). I enjoy my little garden but the rest of the yard has about 50 different kinds of grass and patches of dirt. The previous owners were obviously not gardeners. Any ideas?
dirt

Re: new to gardening

Postby orchidguy » Oct 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Look through books and online to see what you like first of all. Secondly, find out your zone, climatic conditions and what kind of soil you have.Once you've decided on the plants or the overall look that has struck your fancy, find out the growing conditions needed (many have a broad range) and always feel free to ask those who have experience with those plants, including neighbours, friends, and of course this forum. Good luck and happy gardening
orchidguy

Postby Eeyore » Oct 13, 2008 12:42 pm

OG has some exxcellent suggestions. You'll likely have to do some soil amending too. Once you decide where you want your gardens you'll have to dig it up and maike additions to the soil based on whether you've got a lot of clay or sand.
Where do you live?

I wish I could move this thread to Plant Talk, you'd get a lot more help there.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby jillcatrina » Oct 15, 2008 7:18 am

The types of vegetables that can be grown in the home garden in New Mexico are generally determined by the length of the growing season. There are three major growing zones based on the average number of frost-free days. Crops like okra and watermelons have difficulty maturing in short-season growing areas like Los Alamos.
----------------------------------------------
jillcatrina

New way to advertising
jillcatrina

Postby peter2008 » Oct 16, 2008 3:20 am

Whether you recently moved into a new home or you've just got the gardening itch , planning a new garden can be a great deal of fun. Starting your first garden shouldn't be a daunting task. Probably the best piece of advice is - Start Small if you're frozen in your steps.
================================================
Peter
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com
peter2008

Postby Puff10 » Dec 11, 2008 10:27 am

Where to start????If, by any chance , you have access to someone flying over and snapping a few aerial shots for you, this would give you a full view of the area you have to work with, then proceed to soil analysis etc...By having a aerial view, you may start planning which bold and big elements you may want to start with(ponds, large boulders, massive plantings etc...) It is only a suggestion!
Puff10

Postby Sheikea » Dec 16, 2008 10:18 am

You know when we bought this house we had a similar problem.There were holes dug in it big enough to swqallow a small car and towering populars right in the middles.Then there was nothing but weed grass everywhere and it was a disaster to mow.So hubby and I found the solution.We ripped out any shrubs and those rotten populars.Then came the big job the lawn.We rotatilled it up,,,yes all of it.We had someone come in with a ride able and he was doen in an hour.Then we leveled and packed it down and added some good topsoil.Then we layed sod.We now have a beautiful lawn and back yard..And I occasionally dig up patches of sod to plant flowers..Hehe..Was the best solution we could have ever come up with. :)
Sheikea

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas