Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

The new Garden Part II

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

The new Garden Part II

Postby Eeyore » Nov 02, 2008 8:07 pm

This is the beginning of next years garden expansion project.

The newspaper is down and it's topped with soil.

PartII.JPG

This is the plan....

The plan.JPG

The stepping stones that you can just see at the right edge of the photo will continue down to the shed. There will be a flagstone patio with a fire pit and thyme between the stones in the path and the patio.
The bark mulch on the exisiting gardens will have to be raked off and then the whole are will be raked and filled to the proper levels before we start work. Many of the plants along the fence need to be resituated as they are not getting the proper amounts of light. More shrubs will be put in along the fence and then of course spaces will be filled with perennials. There is also a plan to put in a small recirculating waterfall with an underground reservoir and a small boggy area to accomodate a couple of the plants I have that need more moisture. The garden area will actually come right up to the bottom edge of the photo. That lawn will need to be dug out as it is already at the grade we want.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: The new Garden Part II

Postby butterfly » Nov 02, 2008 8:59 pm

That's a huge undertaking Lyn and takes time and $$$

I can picture it all well.

I think your yard will be gorgeous and very practial for the dog at the same time
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 02, 2008 9:15 pm

I wish you Best of Luck...it looks to me/sounds to me, like quite an undertaking.

Will you be moving shrubs now, or waiting till spring? Just how fast does it freeze-up there?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Eeyore » Nov 02, 2008 10:57 pm

Thanks Butterfly and Liz. We won't be doing anything else this year.
I have a good number of perennials on hand that need to be divided or relocated so that cost will be minimal. I also plan to start some from seed in the early new year. However you are right, the stonework is going to cost $$$. That will be the biggest expense.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby earwig » Nov 03, 2008 7:14 am

I wish you were closer Lyn, I swear the flat rocks around here reproduce on a regular basis. It feels that way when one is trying to dig a hole.

Nice looking plan and something to look forward to durng the winter.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby MareE » Nov 03, 2008 8:03 am

Great plan, Lyn. You're in for lotsa SWEAT! However a topographical map outlining grades would be helpful. KIDDINK! What is going to be planted in the designated punkin patches? The shed is in John Deer colours. Love it!

Mare in Hill O'NoGrades;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby joan w » Nov 03, 2008 8:27 am

Looks good Lyn and I can see lots of potential. A place that you and the family will really enjoy.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Eeyore » Nov 03, 2008 10:57 am

Betty, I wish I were closer too. All the rocks one can get for free around here are round!

MareE, the gourds were along the other chainlink and have since been replace with a Dwarf Alberta Spruce, 2 Honey berries and a Hawthorne tree. The precise plantings for this new area haven't been decided yet although I expect there will likely be another dogwood, maybe a Kesselring and I'm considering Quick Fire Hydrangea, there are daylilies, Siberian Iris, lilies, astilbe, hosta and coral bells in that little garden by the fence. I'm thinking I need more "daisy" type flowers and I'm expecting some False Blue Indigo seeds to start this winter.

Joan, we took out the old firepit. We love sitting out there in the summer. This will be just that much nicer.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Grannygardener » Nov 03, 2008 3:45 pm

As I read quickly, in my mind's eye saw Quick Fire Hydrant and did a double take. Love your plan, sent me out to do a bit on my own in preparation for next spring. I have a lot of perrenials that will need dividing next year. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby bluewillow » Nov 03, 2008 3:59 pm

That's an enormous undertaking Lyn. How nice it will look once established.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas