Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Rodent trap to protect your garden.

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Rodent trap to protect your garden.

Postby Durgan » Nov 14, 2008 9:22 pm

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?WXXZD Build Rodent Trap to Protect your Garden

Building cheap rodent traps is a good way to control these dirty little invaders that focus on nibbling away at your produce and stripping leaves off your seedlings.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
User avatar
Durgan
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sep 28, 2007 9:33 pm
Location: Brantford, ON Canada

Re: Rodent trap to protect your garden.

Postby bluebird » Dec 10, 2008 7:55 am

...that seems a rather cruel method. It could also attract chipmunks which I personally enjoy having in the garden. As pesky as some critters can be, drowning is a horrible way to die. :o

I always leave a stick in outdoor watering cans so chipmunks have an escape route should the rain fill the buckets up while I'm not around.
bluebird
 
Posts: 1956
Joined: Nov 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: Rodent trap to protect your garden.

Postby Durgan » Dec 10, 2008 10:16 am

bluebird wrote:...that seems a rather cruel method. It could also attract chipmunks which I personally enjoy having in the garden. As pesky as some critters can be, drowning is a horrible way to die. :o

I always leave a stick in outdoor watering cans so chipmunks have an escape route should the rain fill the buckets up while I'm not around.


Husbandry is a cruel business is analyzed closely. Food doesn't dome from the Supermarket, it is nearly the last step in the food chain. This little comment is to bring awareness to the issue.

Sometimes it is necessary to get rid of chipmunks, mice, and squirrels. Some people go for live traps, which is the cruelest of all, since often the trapped animal has young ones and they starve. Poisons are another method of killing, bugs, animals, etc.

From the point of view of the uninitialized, yes , it can be considered as a cruel business. It is called Nature.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
User avatar
Durgan
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sep 28, 2007 9:33 pm
Location: Brantford, ON Canada

Re: Rodent trap to protect your garden.

Postby Laura » Dec 10, 2008 11:43 am

Good idea about the stick BB.I always cover any water sitting for this reason.I wouldn't want any critters to get in trouble because of me.
Laura
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: Aug 02, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: Rodent trap to protect your garden.

Postby bluebird » Dec 10, 2008 12:08 pm

Durgan wrote:Husbandry is a cruel business is analyzed closely. Food doesn't dome from the Supermarket, it is nearly the last step in the food chain. This little comment is to bring awareness to the issue.


Thanks, but I'm fully aware of the food industry and where food comes from. I'm from a rural area and both my parents were raised on farms. :roll: I doubt there are many that would condone cruelty in that sector either. That said, I was commenting on your method of drowning rodents, not the food industry.

Durgan wrote:Sometimes it is necessary to get rid of chipmunks, mice, and squirrels. Some people go for live traps, which is the cruelest of all, since often the trapped animal has young ones and they starve. Poisons are another method of killing, bugs, animals, etc.

From the point of view of the uninitialized, yes , it can be considered as a cruel business. It is called Nature.


http://www.aaawildlife.com/index_main_arena_1024x768.htm

I wouldn't condone poisons either and live trapping should only be done be a professional who knows what they are doing. I would suggest that drowning a parent animal would also allow young to starve.

I gardened for over a decade in a rural area with lots of critters about and found the best way was to accept certain realities and strive for a balance by working with nature and not against it.

Not my intention to upset you Durgan, just presenting a different opinion on the option of drowning mammals. We can agree to disagree and I accept I won't change your mind and you can accept you won't change my point of view. I have no intention of becoming "initialized" or initiated into condoning animal cruelty and purposely drowning an animal after terrifying and exhausting it, is cruel in my humble opinion.
bluebird
 
Posts: 1956
Joined: Nov 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Re: Rodent trap to protect your garden.

Postby Smitty » Dec 11, 2008 10:30 am

bluebird wrote:

Not my intention to upset you Durgan, just presenting a different opinion on the option of drowning mammals. We can agree to disagree and I accept I won't change your mind and you can accept you won't change my point of view. I have no intention of becoming "initialized" or initiated into condoning animal cruelty and purposely drowning an animal after terrifying and exhausting it, is cruel in my humble opinion.


I second that!! no intentions to upset anyone but...ones gotta co-exist with nature IMHO
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
User avatar
Smitty
 
Posts: 5299
Joined: Jun 11, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: manitoba zone3


Return to Garden Projects and Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Follow Style At Home Online

Facebook Activity

Contests

Latest Contests

more contests