Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Simpler greenhouse

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Simpler greenhouse

Postby beeman » Nov 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Just to show you what I spent half my summer doing!
green house.jpg

As a retired couple we needed a green house but the prices we found were prohibitive. Answer, build our own! Fairly simple as a leanto attached to the shed, and a solid wall next to the fence for some insulation.
Seems to work as the lowest temp even at -10C was +3C. In ground, thermostat controlled, heating cable.
I would have preferred 'polycarbonate' covering, but a second mortgage was not an option, we went with a sheet material from HD. Interesting stuff, does not hold back the light, is double walled for insulation and can be cut with an exacto knife. Used clear silicone at all joints to water seal and prevent the use of nails. Was $20 a sheet at 4x8 feet. Ideal for cold frames etc, will stand up to heavy snow. We've just had 12 inches of wet, wet, white stuff.
The whole thing cost $290 including the cable.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Re: Simpler greenhouse

Postby earwig » Nov 19, 2008 4:35 pm

Nice, I am interesting in hearing about the name of the sheet material. I had a slight accident with the glass on my cold frame and I bet this stuff would not break as easily?
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby beeman » Nov 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Unfortunately I don't have the name handy, but HD had loads in stock. It is in fact the plastic used by sign writers. It's strength is in the length, but be careful on the width during fitting.
The panels on the green house are 20 inches wide, and they do flex a small amount under snow load. I would suggest a 4 foot width would collapse under load.
Better than glass. I had a major accident with my cold frame, snow and ice went through it, smashed it flat.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Eeyore » Nov 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Neat greenhouse! Is that the stuff that looks like corrugated cardboard except that it's a plastic. Comes in white or translucent?

stratocore.jpg
stratocore.jpg (4.02 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby beeman » Nov 20, 2008 8:38 pm

To be frank I'm unsure, didn't see the translucent only the white.
Next time I'm in HD I'll make a point of getting the right name.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Durgan » Nov 25, 2008 4:45 pm

beeman wrote:Just to show you what I spent half my summer doing!.

A most beautiful job. Congratulations. It indicates a great deal of ingenuity and skill, and the price is right.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Rosarian » Dec 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Nice job. I also would be interested in the name of the sheet material used. No nails ,just silicone?

How did you install the heating cable? Did i read it is installed under ground??

Cheers

Bill
Rosarian

Postby Countryboy » Dec 11, 2008 6:33 pm

One brand name for that material is Coroplast. I'd give u a link to a source 'cept they're all to somewhere in the States . . . and selling large quantities.

But could try that name at yr nearest building supply store. :)

Frank . . ON5a
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby beeman » Dec 11, 2008 7:59 pm

Countryboy wrote:One brand name for that material is Coroplast. I'd give u a link to a source 'cept they're all to somewhere in the States . . . and selling large quantities.

I did check with HD and they call it Corplast, last time I checked it was $20 a 4x8 sheet.
Checked it today after a ton of snow and it's holding up very well.
The underground cable is simple. I wired it to some hardware cloth with garbage ties, helps to keep it in place. Then bury in the compost, (soil) to a depth of 2 inches. It's useful to squirm the pots down so they have some soil around the base, with a temp probe in place I got 75F at the pots surface, ideal for raising seedlings.
Outside temp -8C inside +4C. Pretty good eh?
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Smitty » Dec 11, 2008 11:58 pm

cool!!!
I wonder how it would fair in a manitoba winter??
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas