Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Simpler greenhouse

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Simpler greenhouse

Postby Katherine » Mar 13, 2009 2:56 am

Can I just say that I think this is a thing of beauty? I sure wish my husband could build something like that for me, he can do lotsof things but building isnt one of em . I dont really know too much about the coroplast, but the frame alone, its really a nice shape, good sized bench and lean to's really rock for retaining heat.

Beeman, i dont suppose you could come up with a drawing or two and some simple instructions. I could maybe try to put this on the side of the new pool shed.. I cant do it this year but by fall maybe. ???

Very nice.

kat
Katherine

Postby beeman » Mar 14, 2009 9:08 pm

I wish I could help with drawings, but it's just common sense to me!
I have an extensive wood working/manufacturing shop, so I just put it together. :shock:
You need to sit down with pen and pencil, plus a tape measure and plan out how big it needs to be. Mine is 6 feet by 8 feet, with a height of 7 feet where it joins the shed.
The uprights are from 2x2 inch cedar. To make the rebate for the covering I used a router with a slot cutting bit after the frame work was assembled.
The uprights are joined to the foundation sill with mortise and tenon joints, but an angled screw from each side would fix that. The foundation was a simple 2x4 of pressure treated lumber, just joined and resting on the ground.
As the subject said "A simpler greenhouse".
Hope this is helpful.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby SpunkyMacBear » Mar 14, 2009 9:38 pm

OHHH thank you Beeman
and to Canadian Gardening for your membership. :!:
planning, searching, pricing, surfing,
hoping that my (contractor) hubby
will cut material
If I manage to find a DIY Greenhouse Plan
He's just laughing at me saying yes dear, thinking never! :roll:
so I am stressing out my poor little seedlings
they are running out of room :cry:
and here you are,
just made my day and
lean to would be even better :D
SpunkyMacBear

Postby sboricic » Mar 19, 2009 12:54 am

That looks pretty cool. A couple years ago I built this one for myself with old storm windows. I have power leading to it but no water. So I used a 20 L black garbage can and put a drain plug in the bottom of it to allow water to drain out when needed. It sits just above the screen door inside where the sun can get an it. That way it warms the water up and releases the humidity at night when temps drops.
Attachments
105_0507.JPG
100_0125.JPG
sboricic

Postby Eeyore » Mar 19, 2009 10:06 am

Hey! That's very nice!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby sboricic » Mar 19, 2009 11:50 am

I've seen old storm windows at the ReStore (Habitut for Humanity) out my way. If you have one near you and are interested in building one....I'd look there first for windows.
sboricic

Postby Smitty » Mar 19, 2009 1:01 pm

now that's a great idea!!!!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby sboricic » Mar 20, 2009 12:46 am

The pictures don't show all the shelves I've added inside since building it. For a table I purchased one of the Jobmate workbenches at Canadian Tire for $50 and set that up in it.
Also to help insulated it...I used bubblewrap on the inside around the windows. It will still allow the sun to get in and help keep it warmer.
sboricic

Postby DavidB » Apr 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Nice.

One day I hope to have a HUGE greenhouse. Of course, I have to win the lottery first, and so far that plan is not going according to plan.

In any case, for anybody interested, there is a rough plan for a greenhouse posted off the following page:

Passive Greenhouse Design

The base design provides some good ideas on which you might design your own greenhouse, making it as simple or sophisticated as you like.
DavidB

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas