Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Simpler greenhouse

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Simpler greenhouse

Postby Rosarian » Dec 12, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks for the info folks.Sounds very interesting. I will check our local HD today.

Bill
Rosarian

Postby testing » Dec 16, 2008 8:54 am

I have been checking Coroplast out online as I was trying to understand how Corrugated Plastic could be used for coldframes.

Some sites says Coropast will not withstand the UV factor and does not have a long life.

However, I did find this site helpful in comparing different material:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/Glazing.htm
Betty, who is user earwig, but that account is not being cooperative.
testing

Postby beeman » Dec 22, 2008 11:00 pm

[quote="testing"]I have been checking Coroplast out online as I was trying to understand how Corrugated Plastic could be used for cold frames./quote]

My obvious, How long do you need it to last for? Even if you replace it every 3 years, at these prices it sure don't break the bank like Polycarbonate does.
Mine is standing up to the heavy snows we're getting, still looks good.
No contest versus glass etc.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby earwig » Dec 30, 2008 7:40 am

True, but when you take in the factor of afixing it to frames each time, plus the disposal of it after only 3 years, I would rather have something that lasts a bit longer.

I have to have something ready soon, March is right around the corner.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Lulu » Dec 30, 2008 9:01 am

Timely post, here, as two of my "roof" panels broke last week, either due to snow load or that fierce wind, or both,, so, will check out HD's supplies of what I could use as a replacement, but, agree with Betty,,lots of work for something that may only last a few years.

Will also try to find the manufacturer of the original GH, and see if they sell the panels separately.
Lulu

Postby beeman » Jan 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Took a walk round today. Lots of snow, can hardly see where it all is. The roof covering is holding up well, no sags or droops, apart from me, having to keep digging out.
Dug out the door and the inside temp, in full sun was 79F, warmer than in the house!
Even saw a wisp of steam from the compost pile, snow all melted off the top.
More snow tonight.
Roll on spring, getting cabin fever.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby ColleenatStar » Jan 18, 2009 11:28 pm

Great job you did! You have got us started on the same idea. Like Smitty though, I wonder how hard it is going to do for central Alberta winters? Looks like all your hard work is paying off.
ColleenatStar

Postby beeman » Jan 19, 2009 11:10 am

I could swear There was a post from someone in Alberta asking questions regarding my methods, but it seems to have disappeared, anyone else missing posts?
I firmly believe I have stumbled on something here with this covering.
I have since installed an air probe thermostat with a small heater and even at -26C I still managed to maintain 40-45F all night, this is ideal for seedlings. It would appear that there is some insulation benefits as the heater is not 'on' all the time, but fluctuates on the thermostat.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby cherylr » Mar 07, 2009 8:34 am

What a fantastic greenhouse and so simple to make. Thank you for the instructions. This may be something I may tackle this summer too. Yet another project. :roll:
Cheryl
Eastern ON ~ zone 4a
cherylr

Postby beeman » Mar 07, 2009 9:54 am

After a hard winter it's still in good condition, will be firing it up soon. Already have cucumbers, melons and tomato plants ready to set out. Hopefully this year will get early tomatos, rather than waiting till August before they're ready.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas