Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Fence for Raised Bed

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Fence for Raised Bed

Postby gardengirlbc » Jan 13, 2009 7:13 pm

We currently have a garden bed under the walnut tree in the centre of our yard. This year we think we are going to raise it up with some Allan blocks (or something similar) and make the beds a bit higher.

My one problem with the bed (and any other we have) is that if there is something interesting my three dogs will run through it rather than around it. Most of the time they know to stay out but when they get excited they forget. My Delphiniums just can't take it anymore! :P

Last summer I tried to use bamboo to make a low fence around the bed. It did the trick. Just a visual reminder to them that they are not supposed to go in there.

The problem is that over the fall and now into January the bamboo has gotten so wet that it is starting to break down. It's ready for the compost bin.

I don't want to put up a new fence every year and it wasn't my favorite look anyway. Does anyone here have any idea of what to use for a low fence (18" high at the most) that still lets light through and plants grow up and around? I want to be able to see my flowers and not just a fence.

Am I asking too much? Any ideas or pictures would be greatly apprecated!!
It's always fun until somebody breaks an ankle.
gardengirlbc

Re: Fence for Raised Bed

Postby Eeyore » Jan 13, 2009 7:35 pm

CT usually has a variety of decorative fences during the gardening season. They might have something suitable.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Puff10 » Jan 14, 2009 1:40 pm

I am sending a pic of the type of fence you could easily put up using poplar suckers coming up every year. The picture shows a 4 foot high fence but you just need to make it as high as you need. Hope you understand as my english is sometimes poor when it comes to explaining construction ideas!!
Attachments
IMG_0005.JPG
Puff10

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jan 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Woven fences are a favorite of mine.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby beeman » Jan 19, 2009 11:01 am

gardengirlbc wrote:We currently have a garden bed under the walnut tree in the centre of our yard. This year we think we are going to raise it up with some Allan blocks (or something similar) and make the beds a bit higher.
!

Are you sure it's in the right place? Under Walnut trees will cause all sorts of grief. Nothing will grow well under black walnut trees, I know from experience.
Unsure about regular walnuts, but I had to move my garden over by 20 feet to escape the drip line problems.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jan 31, 2009 7:12 am

Neighbours out here use mostly 10-foot high fencing, like this:

Works really well unless you leave the garden door open, as I did here.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby bluewillow » Jan 31, 2009 4:46 pm

I have an enormous black walnut in my back yard and it indeed is causing so many gardening problems over the years. Juglone is the poison the tree produces. But, it is such a handsome tree and wonderful for shade during the hot summer months.
I'm now having to container plant due to the tree.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby beeman » Feb 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Don't wish to highjack this thread, but I have to ask.
Using containers under black walnut trees might be an answer for me. I have two black walnuts hanging over the neighbours fence, causing problems for me.
Do these containers of your's stand inside the drip line of the trees? I was told it's the drip line not the root area that creates the problem, or is the soil which suffers?
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby bluewillow » Feb 12, 2009 12:49 pm

In my case Beeman its the drip line, roots and soil. Planted tomato plants and peppers yards away from the drip line and veggies were poisoned along with flowers, perennials etc. The roots seem to be massive as well but, it is indeed a beautiful shade tree and the squirrels benefit from the nuts.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby beeman » Feb 12, 2009 3:32 pm

bluewillow wrote:In my case Beeman its the drip line, roots and soil. Planted tomato plants and peppers yards away from the drip line and veggies were poisoned along with flowers, perennials etc. bw

Would you mind describing the results you suffered with? I suffer, but am unsure if this is the sole reason for my problems in my veggie plot.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas