Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Birdhouse Gourds

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Birdhouse Gourds

Postby Blossom » Feb 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Thought I would show everyone these Gourds I grew from seed last year. All dried out, sprayed and ready to go, thanks to DH. Also to Mare for her directions and help. We love them. . .

"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Re: Birdhouse Gourds

Postby Eeyore » Feb 02, 2009 11:04 pm

Very nice Blossom! Mine are not ready yet. :cry:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Blossom » Feb 03, 2009 8:50 am

Lynn - These seemed to dry out very quickly in the basement. My daughter had some in her basement , and they weren't drying out, so we brought them here, and now they have started to dry.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby Smitty » Feb 03, 2009 9:47 am

great job!!!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Feb 03, 2009 10:08 am

Mine are in the basement but I have people living in my basement right now and hubby covered the windows so it was warmer down there. I think that's part of the problem. One of them is quite dry but it's very thin shelled. I'm hoping they aren't just going to rot on me.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MareE » Feb 09, 2009 3:21 am

Extremely fine looking haul, Blossom! Aren't they just fabulous? What'd you use for varnish? Lyn, mine dried out on basement planting bench where temp is about 63°F. I leave the window above cracked an inch. Realize you can't do that. Have you given them a shake to hear if seeds are rattling? The gourds, not your boarders. That's when you know they're done. Go easy when drilling the holes. The skins become quite brittle. I score the circle with an Exacto blade and keep cutting lightly into the circle till Inge's neighbour's cow goes home. To be on the safe side.

Shucks. With heavy heart I realize my scanner is on last legs. This gourd Dipper looks squashed. Actual height almost that of a Barbie doll. That be 11" stem to stern. My thanks forever to Cars and Craig for inspiring me to grow these charmers. And to the Amish, but I don't know them as personally. LAFF

MareE;o}Love the velvety texture of mould still to be sanded off. In real life the deeper tones are a perfect aubergine.
Attachments
Birdhouse_Dipper Gourd 2.jpeg
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Eeyore » Feb 09, 2009 11:44 am

Checked mine out the other day, one is a nice velvety grey, one is nicely dried but very thin, kinda weird, no rattling seeds though. The biggest one is just starting to age appropriately....
I'll have to do a photo shoot.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Trailblaze1 » Feb 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Yours look great!

I grew two last summer, and they both rotted on me in the house while drying. I didn't make a hole in it though....perhaps that's why? Must they be cleaned out before drying?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Blossom » Feb 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Mare - my husband used Krylon triple -coat spray. One coat equals 3. They are so shiny and smooth. They are now out in the barn hanging out till spring. Yours looks huge compared to these. My daughter's are larger than mine too.
Trailblaze - you don't drill any holes in them till they are dried out.
February 2009 004.jpg
Blossom

Postby MareE » Feb 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Smashing, Blossom! Velly purdy and classy. Birds are gonna love those pieces of real estate. Is the triple-coat Krylon weatherproof? Did I tell you about the wild goose chase for a can of Johnson's floor wax, fellow gourders? Dead end. "Associates" at Home Depot smirked at what I needed it for. Why, I shoulda...LOL

Mare;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas