Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Birdhouse Gourds

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Birdhouse Gourds

Postby Blossom » Feb 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Uh-Oh - doesn't say it is weatherproof. Will have to look into that. I did spray a metal bird cage with it last summer, that was hanging outside on the porch, and another metal flower container. They seemed fine.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby MareE » Feb 10, 2009 7:21 am

Been a bit of a slackard getting the gourds primed for feathery guests, Blossom. Ssssh. For your ears only. Mice have invaded the house, apparently via the A/C unit, and zeroed in on two of the gourds with holes meant for breeding birds' entries. And of course exits. Och! Couldn't believe my eyes first time I saw a mouse poke head out of Birdhouse gourd. Picturesque, cute as a button, but can't have them mussing with electricals.

Gravely concerned Mare;o} and don't tell my middle bro who thinks I'm the worstest housekeeper on planet Earth, okey dokey? Not over the Moon when shake those two gourds and may be mouse turds I'm hearing, bless their cuteness, The mice's cuteness, not their turds.
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Eeyore » Feb 10, 2009 11:19 am

Woulda liked to see a scan of mouse in birdhouse gourd.... 8)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Blossom » Feb 10, 2009 11:42 am

I think I better get out to the barn to see if any mices have built nests in my gourds! :) I did put out moth balls last fall though. . .
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby MareE » Feb 10, 2009 12:07 pm

That's not possibly scannable, Lyn but stay tuned. Blossom, if I hung mine so high, wouldn't have the problem, nooodoot about it. Considered mothballs, which are handy, but having a tough time. I don't want to kill anything with hearts.

Bamboozled mare;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Sheikea » Feb 18, 2009 10:50 am

Very intersting all i like that idea..I hope the birdie turdies love them. :D
Sheikea

Postby bluewillow » Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Great Gourds! to all. Wish mine had produced ... between little beasties and the walnut tree .... all plantings were done in.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby everchnginggrden » Mar 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi everyone, my son & I took ours down today. Two were dry although one had a soft spot where some of the shell wore off. A thin spongy layer is below it. Will this still be OK for one season? The others were not quite dry so we cleaned them up a bit & tipped them to finish.

My son wants to paint his with colours. Does anyone know what kind of paint is best that would be safe for the birds? Do I have to prime them first? This is our first year but seems like fun so far (I have not drilled the holes yet so I will reserve judgement!)

thanks all

Sharon
Everyone should have something to aspire to

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca
everchnginggrden

Postby SzyQLvyDvy » Mar 06, 2009 11:25 am

I am loving those! I want to try to plant some this year. I've never planted them before, so I have no idea what I'm doing, but I guess I'll give it a shot anyway.
SzyQLvyDvy

Postby Blossom » Mar 07, 2009 3:13 am

Sharon - just do a google search on "painting birdhouse gourds" and lots of ideas and instructions will come up. Most are recomending an oil-based primer and 2 coats of exterior enamel or acrylic paints. My husband clear-coated most of ours but kept out 3 for us to paint. Have fun. Try this site
http://www.gitaland.com/tutorials/tutivy.html
Blossom

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas