Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Containers ....

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Containers ....

Postby Laura » Feb 10, 2009 9:51 am

This is a picture of my containers last season.I tried to follow the fill,thrill,and spill rule.

I planted some Ivy given to me by my friend,some Saliva,and some mini Carnations.

What will you plant this year in your containers ? Trying anything new or planting the tried and true?

Laura

Re: Containers ....

Postby B_BQ » Feb 10, 2009 10:01 am

I shall probably be planting the tried and true in my large iron containers. I really do want to simplify my other containers and hanging planters though. I shall probably just plant them with ivy geraniums, all the same colour, with a little bit of lobelia or Bacopa poking through. But, whatever I decide to do, it will still be 'fill and spill', but maybe not too thrilling! :wink:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lindamct » Feb 10, 2009 10:06 am

[i]Hi Laura :D Gosh last year I did a planter with fuschia and yellow dwarf Snapdragons, orange Calendula, Sapphire Blue trailing Lobelia, and purple clover. I loved it so much. It stayed lovely all season and was able to save many seeds :D [/i]
Lindamct

Postby Laura » Feb 10, 2009 10:48 am

I do like containers of one color,they make such a statement.

I also like lots of stuff in containers ,it makes you stop a minute and look to see what is there.

I have a lot of seeds so I think I will have to get busy making some decisions on what to plant.
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Feb 10, 2009 11:13 am

I bought a bunch of tropicals el cheap so I plan to use those in containers along with some of the usual suspects. Petunias, lobelia, brachycombe .... I plan to fill my 2 biggest planters with snaps of all sizes. They just keep on blooming right up until the snow flies!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Feb 13, 2009 8:01 am

That is what I liked about the Salvia it bloomed all season.I was thinking of trying some marigolds too,some nice large orange ones !
Laura

Postby joan w » Feb 14, 2009 9:31 am

Containers are fun and you can be so original with them. Pam, my daughter is good with arranging containers.

Lindamct, I do like the sounds of your plant combo. Would love to see it.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Sheikea » Feb 18, 2009 10:46 am

I am always looking for something new to do but then I end up with the old tried and true theory as well.Although last year the potatoe vines the lime green adn purple worked well... :D
Sheikea

Postby Lindamct » Feb 18, 2009 11:12 am

I'll try to remember and post a pic Joan :roll: :lol: :D
Lindamct

Postby haili » Mar 02, 2009 9:26 am

I love that lamium that hangs down and has a tiny yellow flower and use it a lot to help fill large containers. It's also good in wall sconces. This year I have geraniums I held over from last year for the window boxes and one large variegated leaf one for the middle of a large planter. I also plan to use the perennials that didn't do too well in the ground - 2 astilbes and some creeping plants and fill in with impatience in the shady area. Creeping Jenny will be used too on the outside of the pots. Lamium has been great and I have 4 different kinds which are used as ground covers in difficult areas and are also good as pot stuffers. With mostly shade here, impatience gets used a lot also. Just can't wait to stuff those pots!
haili

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas