Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Designing around a rose bush

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Designing around a rose bush

Postby steamer » Feb 27, 2009 9:37 am

As I posted in the other forum, I am new to gardening. I am starting a new bed in the spring in front of my deck. The the bed will be about 16' long x 4-5' wide. The deck is raised 2' off the ground with a 42" high railing. The bed is full sun & I live near Kitchener, ON. (zone 5A). I have a explorer 'jens munk' rose that I am relocating & I am thinking of putting against the deck in the middle of the bed. The mature size is about 4-5'. I would like to place flowering shrubs on each side of the rose bush. As well, under the rose, on each side, I'd like lavender. Along the front of the bed I would like some boxwoods spread out with a mixture of dusty miller & purple annuals, such as pansies. Any suggestions as for companion shrubs for the rose bush? I was thinking maybe hydrangea, but I appreciate any advice, since I have no experience.

Thanks.
steamer

Re: Designing around a rose bush

Postby Eeyore » Feb 27, 2009 10:45 am

Personally, I'd go with more roses. Roses look very good planted enmasse. The also look very good with Lavender!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » Feb 27, 2009 9:43 pm

I like the idea of more roses. I also think that barberries are a natural match with roses...maybe its the thorns.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Smitty » Feb 27, 2009 9:59 pm

you say Jens Munk gets only 4-5' high? that's what the catalogues say that I read to but I need a step up to deadhead and trim mine. fence in pic is 3 feet and I'm in zone 3a which tends to make things a bit smaller due to extreme weather and shorter growing season

""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Feb 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Smitty, are you sure that is Jens Munk? Looks an awful lot like Theresa Bugnet.... :o
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Feb 27, 2009 11:06 pm

nope it's not Theresa gardener across the street has that one. bought this one when I first started gardening here 11 years ago at Crappy Tire..tag said Jens Munk .
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby steamer » Feb 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Wow, that's crazy! I don't want that high. Any recommendations for a hardy rose that only gets 4-5' high?
steamer

Postby Eeyore » Feb 27, 2009 11:53 pm

Morden Blush is one of my favorites. It gets to about a meter.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » Mar 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Lyn, either your Morden Blush is on steroids or mine is a midget....lol. Honestly, mine grows to about 18 inches tops. Granted it is only on it's fourth year of growth, but it is smaller than I expected. On some sites, it states to expect around 3 feet and on others it does state 18".... it's got this gardeners head spinning anyway...lol.

Steamer, I've had great luck with Morden roses...generally not too big or too small, reliable performers and disease resistant. Any would be a good choice, but Morden Blush has the closest shape to a hybrid tea and the softest color. Happy Gardening!
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » Mar 01, 2009 10:39 pm

Nope, no steroids. Must just be really good dirt! :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas