Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Rain water barrel + drip irrigation?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Rain water barrel + drip irrigation?

Postby richard » Mar 01, 2009 12:43 am

I'd like to set up a drip irrigation system in a new flower bed, but to use my rain water barrel -- not the city water tap -- as the water source. The flower garden is lower than the outlet on the barrel, but not by more than a couple of feet. Does anyone know if I'm likely to run into problems with too low of water pressure? too inconsistent pressure? too much clogging in the system? some other difficulty? Richard
richard

Re: Rain water barrel + drip irrigation?

Postby Eeyore » Mar 01, 2009 1:55 am

Rain barrels tend to collect a lot of debris, or at least mine does. This might clog your system. You'd probably want to insert a screen to catch the debris before it enters your piping system.
In general the water pressure shouldn't be a problem unless the level in the barrel gets too low.
Sounds like a great idea!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby prairiechick » Mar 06, 2009 11:35 pm

Sounds like a great idea! My barrel does have a lot of debris settling on the bottom, so a screen sounds like a good plan. Does your barrel have a tap or something that can stop the flow?
prairiechick

Postby Eeyore » Mar 07, 2009 12:49 am

Click the link and check out "Rain Barrel Roundup"

http://www.canadiangardening.com/newsle ... ign=090303

There is an tap that can be put on your rain barrel and an add on kit from Lee Valley that will do just what you want.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas