Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Spray Can for Garden Use

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Spray Can for Garden Use

Postby Durgan » Mar 21, 2009 1:51 pm

I got tired of buying those pump up commercial tanks every year. They are far to complicated with a built in pump and inner dispensing tube. Not one innovator amongst the manufacturers.

Spray Can for Garden Use.

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?LPEOI 19 March 2009 Spray Can for Garden use

Periodically it is necessary to have a spray can for use in the garden. I decided to improve on the normal commercial pump up spray cans. Since I have a compressor I decided to modify a 20 pound propane tank, which holds about 20 liters of liquid. The inside of the tank was sprayed with Tremclad paint to inhibit rusting.

All the fittings are NPT, National Pipe Thread, fittings readily available in any NA hardware store. The tank is charged to about 3/4 full with a funnel from the top filler plug, with no difficulty. Pressure from an external source is applied to the typical tire inlet valve to a value of about 60 PSI. I found it takes about ten minutes to empty the tank, which is a fairly long time if one is spraying fruit trees in the Spring. The air inlet valve is called a snifter valve, and is the standard valve used to inflate tires, but has an NPT fitting to be installed on tanks. Here is one supplier of the snifter valve http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?AESSW

The Spray nozzle is usually sold as a replacement for the typical spray tank. With my design the liquid comes from the bottom of the tank, so there is no necessity for an inside tube. The hole in the bottom of the tank is 7/16 inch and tapped for 1/4 NPT fitting.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Spray Can for Garden Use

Postby Lindamct » Mar 22, 2009 10:47 am

Very innovative Durgan! Gr8 idea :D
Lindamct

Postby Durgan » Mar 22, 2009 12:28 pm

Lindamct wrote:Very innovative Durgan! Gr8 idea :D

I was practicing with the spray can this morning, and I can find no fault with the system. It will have to warm up before the dormant spray can be used on the fruit trees.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Lindamct » Mar 22, 2009 1:20 pm

I will be interested in an update Durgan!

Was at my local garden center last week, and apparently once the Dormant Oil Spray is depleted in our country, it will no longer be sold. Another one in the process of being banned by the Dept. of Agriculture. :roll: :D
Lindamct

Postby mollyzone5 » Mar 23, 2009 10:35 am

Really Linda? I wonder what is in those sprays that they want to ban? I myself wouldn't waste my money on them as it is cheaper to make my own,with oil,soap,water.
Just wondering,thats all.
mollyzone5

Postby Lindamct » Mar 23, 2009 11:47 am

Hi Molly. It's my understanding the synthetic oil in Dormant Spray is harmful to fish. Therefore another harmful product to our water table/environment :D
Lindamct

Postby mollyzone5 » Mar 23, 2009 1:51 pm

I did a search on this and found that the Dormant sprays have Rotenone in them so thats where the problem lies.As you said very bad for fish,and beneficial insects I read.
Thanks Linda
mollyzone5

Postby Lindamct » Mar 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Wow Rotenone....yikes! Thanks Molly. I never had used the stuff, but I was thinking about putting in a Rose Garden one year and Dormant Oil was always the #1 choice to use in early Spring. I am sure there must be something out there that's more environmentally friendly :D
Lindamct

Postby beeman » Mar 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Funny this. I was in HD just the other day looking for Dormant oil, so that's why I couldn't find any. :(
Last year I used a home made Garlic oil spray and killed a small apple tree (Spartan). :oops:
So if you need a dormant spray I would suggest 'Mineral oil' 2 tablespoons per gallon mixed with water and a teaspoon of shampoo.
The oil will smother any eggs, and the shampoo will emulsify the oil and make it stick, but DO NOT use when the tree has leaves, unless you want to repeat my mistake. :roll:
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Eeyore » Mar 23, 2009 10:40 pm

Did you outright kill it beeman or just kill the leaves for last year?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas