Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Power Edger Trimmer ?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Power Edger Trimmer ?

Postby wwinther » Mar 24, 2009 8:46 pm

We have a large rural property with quite a few flower beds. I like a nice clean edge around the beds and trees, but find string trimmers heavy and hard to start. I usually just use a manual spade-like edger for my garden edges. I've been trying to find information and reviews on Power Edger/ Trimmers - the ones with wheels that you push. They are a little pricey, so I'd love some input before I go out and buy one. I'm looking at the McLane 3.5 HP Edger Trimmer. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with these types of machines? Are they worth the money? (cost is about $400).

What about the string edgers? Are they any good?

Thanks!
Wendy from Manitoba
wwinther

Re: Power Edger Trimmer ?

Postby Eeyore » Mar 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Welcome Wendy! I don't have any experience with an edge trimmer but I really guess it depends on how much edging you have to do. We do ours with a manual trimmer.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Gwen J » Mar 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I have a Black and Decker Edge Hog, which I really like. It does essentially the same job as a half-moon edger to trench along the sod edge of a flower bed. It also neatens up the edge along a path or driveway. You do still have to go along and manually pull up the narrow strip of sod you cut off. I also use it to cut the sod into manageable chunks if I am peeling up the grass for a new flowerbed.

It wouldn't be great for a large property because it has an electrical cord that you have to drag around behind you. However, it was not as expensive as the gizmo you are considering -- about $100.

Mine is not at all the same thing as a string trimmer, however, and couldn't be used to cut the long grass against a fence or the base of a tree. It may be that mine is not really like the machine you are considering.

Best power tool ever, though? A mini-chipper!

G.
Dryden, ON (Zone 2b)

The success of my garden is built on the compost of my failures. - Jimmy Turner
Gwen J

Postby everchnginggrden » Mar 25, 2009 11:13 am

I have a cutter edger attachment to my trimmer (echo) that I thought would be great but hardly ever use on our 2 acre property. I find the blades are not deep enough so does not cut the edge deep enough through the roots & yes you still have to pick up the part you cut off. I have found the best approach is to dig a deep trench edge each spring with a manual spade. Mine is about 5 inches deep, nice & clean edge that I then fill the bottom three inches with mulch so it ties in with the garden better.. It generally lasts well into the fall before grass grows in too much. Some beds up close to the house I might tidy up in August, the rest I do only once a year. The other advantage is I have a nice clean edge that I can cut right over with the tractor, no trimming when I cut the lawn.

Sharon
Everyone should have something to aspire to

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca
everchnginggrden

Postby Grannygardener » Mar 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Gwen, you mention that the best tool ever is your mini chipper. Which one do you have? I've got the one from Yard Works and I'm ready to throw it out. Beginning to think it's been put together backwards. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Gwen J » Mar 25, 2009 10:01 pm

That's the mini-chipper I have. There may well be better ones out there, but I've really gotten a lot of use out of mine.

It seems to do best with material about the diameter of a thumb and fairly long; up near the size limit of the machine it will jam and trip if you force it, and at the skinny end of the size range, twiggy bits come out as twiggy bits. I also find it does best if you allow it to feed at it's own pace rather than push hard on the sticks. For rose canes and prunings from shrubs it works fine for me.

I like the small size mulch produced from these branches, and I like not having to find a way to get rid of all the prunings. Before the minichipper we had to take quite a bit of material to the landfill (our municipality has a special area for stuff like this), and buy mulch. Now we do neither. Last summer I probably generated 4-5 bushel baskets of mulch.

I can see that for a larger property -- or larger branches -- it might not be the right machine, though. And of course the jury's still out on whether or not it will last well, as I bought it last year.

G.
Dryden, ON (Zone 2b)

Gwen J

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Apr 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Seeing as how I never throw ANYTHING away I have an electric Black & Decker trimmer that I got for my birthday in 1956 :shock: I wore the blade out on that thing & had to make a new one out of a hacksaw blade about 10 years ago & it is still going strong. Course I haven't been looking but have not ever seen another like it(bought on vacation in the States). Now living on a smallish lot compared to the acreage & hardly use it anymore except for slicing the sod along side of the driveway. I will probably leave it for whoever buys the house when they ship me off to the old age home :D

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Gwen J » Apr 05, 2009 8:26 pm

That's amazing. I'm seven years younger than your edger -- and showing signs of wear and tear!!!

G.
Dryden, ON (Zone 2b)

Gwen J

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Apr 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Be patient Gwen.....it's only a matter of time. LOL

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas