Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Bird Feeder ?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Bird Feeder ?

Postby Godslamb » Mar 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the place to ask, but here goes:
I would love to have a bird feeder in my front yard so I can enjoy my garden *and* some birds.
My problem is, I do NOT want to feed these annoying pigeons we have all over. I have seen them scare off other birds in my neighbours' feeder, and I don't want the same thing hapening in my feeder. Any suggestions? I will forgo feeding if I have to, but I don't want to be feeding these bullies. Carol in Calgary AB
Carol

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
~Dorothy Frances Gurney, "Garden Thoughts"
Godslamb

Re: Bird Feeder ?

Postby Eeyore » Mar 24, 2009 11:01 pm

I don;t like feeding the pigeons either.... :roll: You could try one of those weight sensitive feeders that are supposed to deter squirrels.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Marion » Apr 15, 2009 6:50 pm

I have a squirrel buster feeder that I am very happy with. It seems to do the job. You can adjust the weight to get it to what you want so only the small birds can use it. I also have another selective bird feeder that has a grid preventing other birds from feeding there. Basically, only the finches and downy woodpeckers bother with it .
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Postby Countryboy » Apr 16, 2009 7:53 am

I'm not really fond of feeding the Starlings that flock to the feeder at this time of year either. Nevertheless . . . there they are . . . this is their season. For now, the other birds take their turns when the Starlings are not there. And . . . in a while . . the Starlings will have raised their chicks and moved on, leaving the feeder again for the others.

"All God's creatures" eh. :wink:

And PS . . . . a large collection of plump birds will very quickly attract the attention of raptors. THEN u'll see some real action around yr feeder!! :D lol
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby wraightj » Apr 22, 2009 8:17 am

I had the same problem, and was advised to really pay attention to the kind of birf food I put out. Completley avoic the mixed stuff, I only put out niger seed and black oil sunflower seed. I still have a few pigenos, but not half what I did before.
wraightj

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas