Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

First Lady's Organic Garden

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

First Lady's Organic Garden

Postby Sun Face » Apr 03, 2009 12:39 pm

I thought this was a very interesting garden plan.
I'm sure it's absolutely huge, and for some reason, it intrigues me! 8)
I think it would be neat to know the process of designing it!

Michelle Obama's Organic Garden

Cindy H
Morning Glories
Cindy H
Calgary, AB zone 3A
Dragonflies!
Sun Face

Re: First Lady's Organic Garden

Postby Laura » Apr 03, 2009 12:48 pm

I think this could be done on a small scale too . . . I like that they put flowers along the paths.I have a small garden and have flowers,vegetables,fruit and herbs all growing.You really can do a lot in a small plot.

My planning is a bit "fly by the seat of my pants" style ... :lol: .... trial and error is the name of the game here.
Laura

Postby Sun Face » Apr 03, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Laura!

I'm like your 'flying by the seat of your pants' planning style, too! lol

Although, I always admire people who are structured and can stay on track! :wink: Mostly because I aren't one! :D

You're very right, too, in that a person could scale this down. I keep forgetting to find out or read what the size is, but I have a feeling it's larger than my whole yard!

Cindy H
Flower Bud Vases
Cindy H
Calgary, AB zone 3A
Dragonflies!
Sun Face

Postby TracyLord » Apr 23, 2009 5:33 pm

The only thing that bothers me with this organic garden is the strange discrepancy between the White House message - plant your own organic garden - and some new laws being passed by the Congress that could well mean the end of organic farming in the U.S through extensive regulation and possible use of pesticides renderered mandatory.
I`ve read the laws and indeed some parts are really disturbing - all under the name of food safety. Check HR875 and S425 (laws numbers).
It is also disturbing because Canada, through the ongoing building of the North American Union, might well end up one day with the same regulations.
Anyway this is not a political forum, but wanted to let you know.
TracyLord

Postby Trailblaze1 » Apr 28, 2009 2:58 pm

It will be interesting to see the furor that arises in the USA over this organic garden, and how they will handle it. Hope she stays strong!

I wonder how large it is?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby bluewillow » Apr 29, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm wondering what the White House is using on their lawns to keep them weed free.
As of the 22 April Ontairo residents have been banned from using cosmetic pesticides. The only province in Canada with these rules.
Should be interesting to see what comes about.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas