Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Temporary lattice fence for container garden

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Temporary lattice fence for container garden

Postby BeckyB » Apr 07, 2009 11:49 am

Hi, I live in an old row house and at one point in it's history a previous owner decided to pave the front and back yard. I am the end unit and must give my neighbours right of way so they can park their cars behind their houses. however I am planing on building a fence on top of this paved area (on my property only) so that my husband, son and I can have a container garden of flowers and vegetables. We were originally planing on building a permanent fence, however this would significantly reduce access for a plow to clear the area in the winter. My solution...Fence posts in blocks of concrete with lattice attached to form some sort of privacy screening which can be dismantled, and stored in the colder months. The total area of the enclosed space would be about 10' x 15' -a small garden, but destined to be a sanctuary on our overly paved property .

My question is....has anyone ever seen or done this before, I can't find any information on this type of fence. I can't imagine it would be that difficult. I'm sure there are hollow concrete pyramids or blocks that the 4x4 can be positioned in, more concrete poured in, and presto, free standing fence posts. My main concern is that it might fall over due to wind if there is ever a storm. I thought that lattice work might offer less resistance, but really I have no idea.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!
BeckyB

Re: Temporary lattice fence for container garden

Postby joan w » Apr 07, 2009 12:16 pm

First off, I’m surprised the previous owner was allowed to do all that paving. Do you have a tenant’s committee?
That’s where I would start. You may find that the owners have to lift the paving.
I can’t recall having seen this done but you should be able to get some ideas from the various building supplies stores. It would seem to be doable.
Good luck.
Image Image
joan w

Postby BeckyB » Apr 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi, there are only four row houses, and we all own them individually. They were build in 1902 and the previous owner owned them all and rented them out....so I think he just paved it all to keep his work as a landlord down. We're all responsible for our own properties. We'll be pulling up the pavement in front of our home, but he backs of the other owners properties are used for parking of their cars.
Asking at home depot is a good idea. Generally I find the people working there to be fairly knowledgeable.
BeckyB

Postby Gwen J » Apr 07, 2009 11:13 pm

This screen around my air conditioner is built from premade lattice panels attached together with metal plates and screws. There are no posts. The three panels rest in deck blocks.

Deck blocks are the pyramidal concrete blocks you imagine: they have a square hole in the top for a 4x4 post and slots to accept 2x4 or 2x6 etc. dimensional lumber. There is no need to pour additional concrete into them, although you may need small shims to make the posts or lumber tight in the slots.

Lattice Fence.JPG

My structure is not rigid enough to be freestanding, and in fact it there is a wire in behind to hold the screen to a vent that comes out of the wall. For stability I think you would want posts (not just panels like mine), corners (rather than a single straight run), fairly short sections (more blocks at the bottom, more posts, more weight) and for the fence to be fairly low; then it might work. It's probably fair to say, however, that if it will stand up to the wind it won't be easy to take apart in the fall!

Another option might be to make your garden your screen: use planter boxes around the perimeter of your garden area. The boxes will be quite heavy when filled and could even have a section of lattice attached to the tops. Vines can grow up the lattice... I'm picturing something like the picture below, a little patio set, a glass of lemonade...

planter box with trellis.jpg
planter box with trellis.jpg (4.17 KiB) Viewed 4256 times

Good luck, G.
Dryden, ON (Zone 2b)

The success of my garden is built on the compost of my failures. - Jimmy Turner
Gwen J

Postby Eeyore » Apr 07, 2009 11:18 pm

Those planter boxes are nice! I think they would work well for what Becky has in mind.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby joan w » Apr 08, 2009 8:32 am

The planter boxes with lattice look like something you could use Becky. Have you done any more investigating at the stores?
Image Image
joan w

Postby Countryboy » Apr 08, 2009 8:47 am

The 'Deck Blocks' . . . although not a great idea for most decks . . are a good idea for screens like yours and Gwen's.

http://www.deckplans.com/aboutus.html

With those as an easily dismantled and stored foundation I would look for posts and lattice for the screen itself. U should be able to find these materials made from lightweight and long-lasting plastic.

Best of luck. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas