Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Lasagna Gardening

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Lasagna Gardening

Postby sboricic » Apr 08, 2009 1:06 am

I plan on doing a couple beds this year with the Lasagna garden style for some vegetables.
I was wondering if any others have tried it and the results they had.
Attached is a link with some information on it in case you have not heard of this.
http://organicgardening.about.com/od/st ... garden.htm
sboricic

Re: Lasagna Gardening

Postby Countryboy » Apr 08, 2009 8:58 am

'Lasagna gardening' has been around for quite a while. It's a great idea if u've got the time and space but it's proponents usually gloss over it's main drawback . . . and that's that it could take years to build up enuf compost to plant in.

Roto-tilling your existing soil . . . with or without a 'lasagna garden' component . . . is waaaaaay quicker. :wink:

However u build it . . . best of luck with the new bed. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby sboricic » Apr 08, 2009 9:32 am

I can't say I disagree with you. That has already came to mind. Especially with kitchen scraps. I have lots of leaves in a couple composts made with skid pallets in the back yard and a farm across the road where I can get manure. Grass shouldn't be a problem with 2 1/4 acres.
sboricic

Postby Countryboy » Apr 08, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm building a new bed at my place. Not much room here and very little 'sun' area. The soil in this spot was a mix of 'old driveway' and 'bonfire pit'. But . . even having to work with stones and gravel . . . over many tillings . . and five or six feet of leaves added that I added in the Fall . . I expect to have something workable to plant in this Spring. :)

To build a bed of plantable depth over top of all that existing carp would have taken a long time I think. :wink:

I'll plant veggies here for several years so I can continue every year to till in more organic material. One of these years the soil may be good enuf to fill with perennials. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby mollyzone5 » Apr 08, 2009 8:35 pm

A true lasagna bed is easy to do and can be planted right away.Three of my beds were done by laying several sheets of newspaper,wet down well,then a layer of cardboard,also wet down until soaked.On top of this I layered small twigs,leaves,pine cones,etc.Then a layer of compost,then peat moss,mushroom compost,and top soil mixed with aged manure made the last layer.You could use anything you want,or have access to,just make sure your top layer is a good quality soil.All the layers were wet down well as applied.These beds are not meant to be disturbed as in tilling or turning over at all.(this is what makes them so easy).My first year,right after these beds were made I planted them all.I keep adding layers all the time of whatever I have .I mulch with leaves each fall and in Spring just top dress with compost and some fresh soil mixed with manure,and the layering process keeps going.
mollyzone5

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas