Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Non-offensive fence

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Non-offensive fence

Postby TracyLord » Apr 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Hello,

any ideas for creating a natural fence that will not be considered offensive by my neighbours?
Here is the situation:
- my neighbours have an elevated patio deck fenced by wood poles. It is very close to our garden limit, which gives them unlimited view on our space, with a hedge they have pruned heavily last summer despite their proposal to keep it growing higher that I had approved.
- I planted three lilacs trees in front of that ugly deck, but not too close (they did not look happy at all when I did that. The taller one is reacing 1.50m so far.

Now as spring approaches, I do not look forward to seeing this ugly patio fence all summer long again, plus I really would appreciate some intimacy. I'm quite fed up with the feeling that I'm sharing my meals with them, as they will sit so as to have the nice view on our garden and the beautiful masses of flowers that grow at the back. Do I need to add that it is the only place they will sit in all summer long?
Fencing our garden is above our budget, plus I don't want to create a feud with my neighbors who are quite nice otherwise.

My idea is to plan delphiniums and maximilian sunflowers along that short hedge, as they can grow up to 2 meters.
Any other idea? This is to wait for the lilacs to grow bigger and more dense.

Thanks
TracyLord

Re: Non-offensive fence

Postby Countryboy » Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

The Lilac sounds like a good idea. I like that. it should eventually be all the screening u need.

Sunflowers and Delfs might work in the meantime. Hollyhocks too should work . . and they may be a little surer. Another thing u could try is Monkshood.

Best of luck eh! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Eeyore » Apr 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Sounds as if the neighbours like the view and are offended that youa re blocking it from them. :D
I think you have the right idea until the lilacs grow tall enough. Are you going to need something permanent or are annuals going to be good enough until the lilacs grow?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Aigle » Apr 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Tracy, Now you've got me dreading the new neighbours I have to the north..so far not so good but there is nothing that would help since it's a second storey balcony :mrgreen:

How about Ornamental Castor beans? Certainly fast and easy to grow and huge leaves. I use them to screen the dead zone under a stairway.

M
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby TracyLord » Apr 15, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi,

I did not expect such quick replies - thanks a lot for the ideas.
I do look forward to see the lilacs grow, hopefully it should not take too many years. :)

As I`m quite a novice gardener, I will look for more details on some proposals. I did not know the monkshood was so tall. I'll let you know about the results.

Cheers
TracyLord

Postby wraightj » Apr 22, 2009 8:27 am

If you take a look at the projects page on this site, they have 2 possible solutions. One is a number of perennial vines that woudld grow easily on a trellis, but they also have one called 'privacy screens'. This would cost something, but much less than a fence as they are made mainly with lattice, and the screens are staggered in height so they look much more interesting too.
I can identify with your problem in a bit different way, my mom's neighbour built an enormous shed right on the property line (whihc is illegal, he was supposed to leave a minimum allowance and did not). So she walks out her back door and sees nothing but this large shed wall. Otherwise they have been great neighbours for 30 years, but I am pretty sure if she had done it, they would have flipped!
wraightj

Postby B_BQ » Apr 22, 2009 3:56 pm

It's always a dilemma when you want privacy but don't want to offend the neighbours. Obviously lovely perennial shrubs, which will grow tall and wide enough to do the job, would be great. The downside is that it will take a long time for them to grow to the height and width that you want!

I had the situation where we had just moved into this house 3 years ago. Our next-door neighbour has a fabulous property, and the garden adjoining our property line is beautiful and I get to enjoy it too. However, they also have a pergola there with seating, and if they're using it they could look directly at our seating area.

I didn't want to offend either, neither did I want to block the view completely, and I also wanted to enjoy their garden! :wink:

I scouted around and came across some old wrought iron railings at a local iron works. They were delivered to me. My husband and I dug some holes, put the railing into the holes and then filled with concrete. It worked really well - a freestanding minimally invasive fence, on which I am growing roses and clematis. This year should see the railings pretty well covered. Our neighbours like it too! :D
~BBQ

Wrought iron gates - freestanding:
DSC_00703.JPG

Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Grannygardener » Apr 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Brilliant idea BBQ, just takes some scouting around and repurposing of what you see. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby TracyLord » Apr 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi BBQ,

thanks for the picture - your garden looks lovely.
I did think of a treillis, but their deck is really close.
Since they did not seem to like that much the lilacs that are planted not so closed, putting up a treillis right in front of them would probably be too much for them.
I've ordered some Maximilian Helianthus and Delphinium to mix and create a flowery border, hopefully they will grow as much as the catalog boasts. I'm thinking of adding some tall herbs as well. Will post a before and after picture when it`s done.

Cheers :)
TracyLord

Postby Eeyore » Apr 23, 2009 5:47 pm

How close is the deck to the property line? It may not be in compliance with bylaws. Although you probably don't want to file a complaint about it now that it's constructed. If they do complain about your "fencing" you can gently point out that although you like THEM just fine as neighbours you do like your privacy as well.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas